I prefer a lighter laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Corzhens, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

My laptop is an HP with a screen of 13 inches that is quite heavy for me. Since it is the official issue of our company so I cannot just replace it. I remember when it was new, I didn't notice its weight but as months passed, the weight of my laptop is getting noticeable. And now there are new laptops in the office that were given to the new officers. I have noticed that they are the smaller type but lighter. Now I am in a quandary because maybe I can request for a replacement but I may not feel comfortable with the smaller screen.

Corzhens, Apr 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Corzhens

IBMPC8088

I couldn't find a lighter laptop, but I found a birthday cake one with a candle in it!

(It still works as a lighter laptop in an emergency)

[​IMG]

(In all seriousness though, if you're looking for a really light laptop or ultrabook, check out the new Lenovo LaVie Z. It weighs only 1 pound, has a battery that lasts for nearly 10 hours, has usb 3.0, quad-core processor, 13.3" screen, and is both lighter and more efficient than the Macbook air. It won best award for CES 2015 as a new laptop, and is ideal for anyone wanting the lightest laptop or ultrabook with the most performance possible)

IBMPC8088, Apr 11, 2016
    djtech, Sefie, IcyBC and 1 other person like this.
  3. Corzhens

IcyBC

I have a MacBook air and it is very light. I don't have to carry it around much, but I can lift it up with one hand, which I couldn't do with my HP before. I have problem with both wrists and shoulders, so anything light for me to handle is a blessing!

IcyBC, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Sefie

Lol, good one IBMPC8088! That is indeed a light laptop, lol. I might consider the LENOVO LaVie Z next time I go for a new laptop. I am looking for something even lighter than what I have now.

Sefie, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Corzhens

SirJoe

It really comes down to what you are going to do with the laptop. I always prefer a bigger screen and I think that it being heavier is just one of those things we have to live with, but that is for me. If you feel uncomfortable with the weight of your laptop and are able to get issued a new one, I would go for it.

SirJoe, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. Corzhens

fcuco

Most big laptops fall into the category of "desktop replacements" the main idea being that you are going to use them as a substitute for a desktop and to be carrying the thing around since they are not meant to be portable anyway. You probably have one of those because more modern laptops completely abandoned that concept now that you can have massive screens on a very thin form factor, something like the recently revealed HP Spectre, but that's just another level: it is the thinnest laptop available right now and the audio is from the premium Bang & Olufnen brand, it only weights 2.45 pounds.

fcuco, Apr 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. Corzhens

IcyBC

I went shopping online for the Lenovo you've suggested, and oh my gosh, do you know that it is expensive, comparable pricing to a MacBook!

It looks nice and very attractive though. I am still a window admirer but no money to afford it!

IcyBC, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. Corzhens

djtech

Well, companies usually buy heavy duty laptops. I remember I had been given a Dell 13 inch laptop that was thick as a whale. And for good reason too. When I tried running various software on it, everything worked really smoothly. I don't remember the exact model, but I am sure you can look up the device online. I prefer a lighter laptop too, but your employer probably knows best what to give you.

djtech, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. Corzhens

IBMPC8088

It is really nice, but it's also brand new to the market and above spec than any of the macbooks while being lighter than them, so knowing this they're going to charge top price. If price is an issue over the specs, then waiting 6 months to a year is usually ideal because the price comes down a lot after the first 6 mos to 1 year after introduction on the market.

If you need something light but powerful that won't be with a big price tag, Asus has some good models that won't break the bank but are good on power performance and quality.

Lenovo just as well has many other models that aren't as expensive as this new one that are still very light and powerful, but are going to weigh a little more than a macbook or the LaVie here. So you might still want to consider them, but just a different model than this one.

Acer might even have some in the ultrabook class that would be light and work well, too.

IBMPC8088, Apr 14, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. Corzhens

acer93

I just bought a new lenovo not so much time ago, and the weight was one of the few things I noticed first.
    I can travel with it easy and it has a lot of battery power. Not so much CPU and just 4GB memory, so it was cheap and the case is also plastic, maybe that's why it is so light.

acer93, Apr 30, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  11. Corzhens

djordjem87

I prefer this too. I always hated those big ones and when I see people carry them around. They really look heavy. My Toshiba is rather small with 16 inch diagonal. It is not too thin of course. I didn't have money to buy something like that but it is very much okay for me. I don't feel stressed out when it is with me or better to say on my shoulder.

djordjem87, May 10, 2016
Ask a Question