I have installed wine, now,how do I install windows apps?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fuerst, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Fuerst

Fuerst

I have successfully installed wine now. could anyone tell me how to install windows apps?
    guess I first haveto copy software on to usb stick. does install than work through double-click etc?

thanks and cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 29, 2008
  2. Fuerst

eddieitman

yes that is correct or you could do it from the terminal so example would be "wine setup.exe" (without the quotes) that way you will get the console output
    Also take a look at the wine application database on there site as some apps may require special setups/ configs

eddieitman, Sep 30, 2008
  3. Fuerst

Fuerst

thxs, eddie

Fuerst, Sep 30, 2008
  4. Fuerst

tpcug

Just a few more thoughts

When you install wine you get a hidden folder .wine in your home directory ( /home/user/.wine )
    So if you have not already done it, enable hidden folders in your file mangager - for Thunar its in the View menu.

/.wine contains a directory /drive_c and in this 2 more /windows and /Program Files

When you install something it will end up in /Program Files

I found the best way to install an app is to copy the installer files to .wine, (you can delete them after install) open a terminal, change to /.wine (cd .wine) then run the the installer with the command - as Feurst noted
    wine <whatever_installer_name>.exe.

Hopefully it will install and put an link on the desktop.

If not, you can always run an app directly - choose "Run" from the top of the desktop menu then type in wine followed by the *DOS* path in quotes ie.

wine "C:\Program Files\<application folder>\<application_name.exe"

and yet another way.
    Use Thunar to find the <application_name>.exe
    right click and choose 'open with'
    then 'open with other applications'
    then 'use a custom command'
    then type in wineconsole

Lots of small windows apps are 'stand-alone' and do not need installing, just copy the files (best to a 'Program Files' folder) and use one of the above methods. Just make sure that any .exe and .dll files are marked as executable. In Thunar thats right-click, properties, permissions, tick the box 'allow this file to run as a program'

best of luck

tpcug, Sep 30, 2008
  5. Fuerst

Fuerst

that sounds really great,
    thanks, I shall try at the weekend when I have enough time

I am beginning to learn more and more about linux and seemingly enjoying it
    cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question