How Useful Is Cortana?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by hafiz93, Mar 18, 2016.

1. hafiz93

hafiz93

Cortana, the personal assistant that comes with Windows 10 was one of the highlights when Windows 10 was first released. It's basically like Siri, you can ask question by typing or speaking into the mic, you ask it to manage your calendar, set a reminder, or do some other stuff. So have you used Cortana so far? If so how does it hold up with your needs?

hafiz93, Mar 18, 2016
  2. hafiz93

Dilof

I don't use Cortana as it's way too much of a hassle. I use Siri on my phone because it's readily available; but with Cortana you have to speak with it (with a mic) or type with it, with pretty much ruins the purpose of the whole Cortana thing in the first place. So yeah I haven't really given it a try and I doubt I will, way too much of a hassle for me.

Dilof, Mar 18, 2016
  3. hafiz93

Odst123

I upgraded to windows 10 when it came out, and it was so laggy and buggy I didn't stay with it for long. I did use Cortana a little (which required my microsoft account, which was a minor annoyance) and it often didn't give me the right answer if it worked at all. I may upgrade to windows 10 again in a few months if they get the bugs worked out, but for me it's just not worth the effort in its current state.

Odst123, Mar 19, 2016
  4. hafiz93

fcuco

I disabled the thing after 2 days or something like that, I get the concept but I had no use for it, I don't see myself re enabling the thing any time soon, maybe on a tablet if I ever get one with Windows 10.

Even if the thing was useful, I had so much trouble with windows 10 basically dying on me at startup because it was unable to initialize the start up menu that I disabled everything in there, yep, that's right, about 50% of the time windows will start and tell me that the start up menu failed so when I clicked on the windows icon nothing happened.

fcuco, Mar 19, 2016
  5. hafiz93

rz3300

I looked right past it from the start and have heard nothing but complains from others so I have not it much at all. I feel like every time that a company seems to come out with assistants or things of that nature it never lives up to be what it is all cracked up to be, and that is not just taking about Microsoft. I have always been okay on my own, and I think that will remain the same.

rz3300, Mar 19, 2016
  6. hafiz93

IBMPC8088

About as useful as the Microsoft Paperclip on Office. It's "Clippy" with a voice by popular request. :p Outside of entertainment, there really isn't much use for it unless it's used for a person who can't type or is too far away from the keyboard to use a computer or something like that. Speech-recognition, voice commands, and action response to them has been around since the early 80's and picked up steam in the mid 1990's. It's about as useful as it always was before Microsoft, Google, and other companies decided to promote it or capitalize on it. It works for some stuff, but it's not up to par for others. Cortana isn't of use to me, but some might like the fad of it.

IBMPC8088, Mar 20, 2016
  7. hafiz93

sparkster

I haven't tried this yet, as I only bought a laptop with Windows 10 yesterday. I did notice Cortana though but didn't really know what it was so thanks for clarifying! Sounds like it could potentially be quite useful. I'll let you know when I've had some experience with it.

sparkster, Mar 20, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. hafiz93

Fermin420

Sorry to disappoint you but Cortana, greatest thing ever now embedded in Windows10 is nothing but a crappy Siri for windows. It just perform tasks on voice command, it doesn't work for me, all it does is slow down my dalily duties, I'm way faster by myself and perform better without even trying than with cortana. Its definitely more suitable for people with disabilities, they should have adversided it just like that.

Fermin420, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. hafiz93

tackykardia

It helps me find my programs on my computer so I don't have to go searching for them. I just type it in the search thing and it pops up and then I can click on it. So it helps me a lot that way. That's the only thing I usually use it for though.

tackykardia, Apr 10, 2016
Ask a Question