How to use touch pad?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by pmw555, Jul 15, 2009.

1. pmw555

pmw555

Hello, I'm a new Acer Aspire One owner and a new member of the forum. I like the Aspire One very much, but the touch pad is frustrating to use. Sometimes, when using the touch pad, it changes mode, and a small circular icon appears and the touch pad starts scrolling the window erratically rather than moving the cursor over the window. I don't know what causes this, but I'm sure this mode was included as a "feature" for some reason I can't figure out. I've searched through the documentation but can't find any information about using the touch pad. Do most Aspire One users use a USB mouse instead of the touch pad? It seems that having to carry a mouse around partially defeats the purpose of having such a nice, light computer. Thanks!

pmw555, Jul 15, 2009
  2. pmw555

DutchDK

What you are describing is called "Chiralmotion scrolling" and is a feature available in the Synaptics Touchpad driver. You can disable that feature or customize it in the XP Mouse controlpanel.

DutchDK, Jul 15, 2009
  3. pmw555

wozofoz

The TouchPad is very sensitive, touch it as you would a baby's skin.
    It is designed to move the cursor with a light touch and scroll with a 'flatter' slightly heavier touch.

If you continue to have problems you can change the sensitivity.
    Note: Humid conditions can affect the TouchPad and they recommend moving the setting more toward 'Heavy Touch'
    To change the sensitivity go to:
    Start > Control Panel (Classic View) > Mouse > Device Settings > Settings > Sensitivity > Touch Sensitivity
    Slide more toward 'Heavy Touch' and experiment with that.

By default a thin area on the right hand side of the TouchPad is the Up/Down Scroll area.
    By default a thin area on the bottom of the TouchPad is the Left/Right Scroll area.
    Keep away from these areas unless you want to Scroll.
    You can change the size of the Scroll area but I don't recommend you do, better to give it more time and you will get used to it.
    However if you wish to change it then go to:
    Virtual Scrolling > Scrolling Region in the same Menu as Sensitivity above.

Look through all the options in the Menu and experiment but don't make too many changes at first. Learn to use it then later make some more changes if needed.
    I love the TouchPad and have tweaked it to my fave feel.
    Lightly caressing the TouchPad with my fingertip moves the cursor and I can 'flick' it to all areas of the screen.
    A slightly (and only slightly) firmer press with my finger (finger print area) produces a scroll. Perfect :)
    The first time you flick that cursor and it lands directly on the close Window X (or whatever) you will feel like you have just scored a goal :D

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Jul 15, 2009
  4. pmw555

pmw555

Great information! Thank you!

Phil

pmw555, Jul 15, 2009
Ask a Question