How to use dual cores in Windows 7/Vista

Discussion in 'Windows' started by comminsar, Jan 22, 2010.

1. comminsar

comminsar

The atom processor is set at a single core in Tiny7 and TinyVista and probably the official releases by Windows to.

Here is a very easy tutorial on how to use both cores very handy if you fancy gaming on this mighty mini machine.

1. Click start, and search for run.
    2. Execute the application run, and search for msconfig in run.
    3.When in msconfig click the boot tab.
    4. In the boot tab click advance options.
    5. Tick the box named Number of cores, and choose 2.
    6. Make sure maxium memory is set to the amount of ram you have (optional but recommend, mine is 1024mb=1gb Ram)
    7. Restart.
    8. When system reboots press Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose task manager and in CPU Usage you should see two graphs if so this trick worked 100%

[​IMG]

I WILL TRY AND FIND MORE TWEAKS SOON

comminsar, Jan 22, 2010
  2. comminsar

greenfrog

This also works in XP.

greenfrog, Jan 22, 2010
  3. comminsar

hartleyshc

I think this is a Tiny thing. I have both cores shown in both the xp home that came with the system, and an official win 7 ultimate.

hartleyshc, Feb 16, 2010
  4. comminsar

pr0xZen

Atom, dual core? A5xx?

Did I miss a meeting or something? :)

pr0xZen, Mar 9, 2010
  5. comminsar

RetroZA

Nope, you didn't... he did. ;)

The Atom cpu is a HyperThreading cpu. So while it shows 2 cpu's in the task manager, it definitely doesn't have 2 cores. Any HyperThreading cpu shows up as 2 cpu's.

And secondly, the option he is referring to, is to enable more cores when booting Windows. It doesn't have anything to do with using more cores in Windows. If Windows doesn't detect all your cpu cores by itself, then there's something seriously wrong.

RetroZA, Mar 9, 2010
  6. comminsar

Bloodstar

Aha, I had the feeling this was just a mistake. :/

My question, however... has anyone who has actually done this seen a noticeable gain in performance? I've not quite seen any myself... then again, I haven't used my Aspire One for quite as much lately.

Bloodstar, Mar 9, 2010
  7. comminsar

bluevolume

I don't know about the "Tiny" releases since I've never used them, but there is absolutely no reason to do this in a normal install of XP or Vista. Windows will detect your CPU capabilities and amount of memory just fine on its own, and changing those settings will not improve your performance.

The only reason to change them would be if someone else had already set them to something wrong. And in that case, you would want to just uncheck the options and let Windows determine it on its own.

bluevolume, Mar 11, 2010
  8. comminsar

Modred189

Enabling a second core while booting windows is for debugging ONLY. Your computer automatically uses as many cores as you have to boot, even hyperthreading.
    IN fact there are some drivers and apps that will freeze or not load if you have this option set. Leave it alone.

Modred189, Mar 28, 2010
Ask a Question