How to set cursor focus in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by TopBone, Feb 17, 2018.

1. TopBone

TopBone

When I move the cursor from window to window, I have to click in the new window before I can scroll the window. How can I fix it so that which ever window the cursor is in is active?
    Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57D4 running Win 10

TopBone, Feb 17, 2018
  2. TopBone

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums, @TopBone :).

I think you can set focus like this by searching for "Ease of Access Centre" via the start button, then click Make the Mouse easier to use, now check the box that says Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse. Here's a screenshot I've taken from my Windows 10 install:

Capture.PNG

Ian, Feb 19, 2018
  3. TopBone

TopBone

Thanks Ian, but that does not seem to work. If I switch widows or tabs in my browser (edge) I still have to click in it before I can scroll (using arrow keys).

TopBone, Feb 19, 2018
  4. TopBone

Ian Administrator

That's strange - I've just tested it on my Windows 10 machine and it works ok. If you hover the mouse over Edge, does it get pulled to the foreground? Try opening two Edge windows and overlap them to test. When I enable the option above, it actives the Edge window as expected and I can scroll with the mouse keys as expected.

As a workaround, do you have a scroll wheel on your mouse? That should let you scroll even on unactive windows.

Ian, Feb 23, 2018
  5. TopBone

TopBone

If I have 2 tabs open in edge, and I hover the cursor over the inactive tab, a small preview of the content in that tab pops up but it does not open unless I click on it. Even after I open the tab, I have to click in the window before I can scroll it using the arrow keys. (I do not have a mouse, just the trackpad)
    Acer Aspire laptop model E5-575G-57D4

TopBone, Feb 24, 2018
  6. TopBone

Brian8gbSSDLinux

WOW!... Desktops use a MOUSE but Laptops waste so much space cramping all the keys so small so you can gave a Touch pad... I use BOTH Desktop and Laptop and I use a MOUSE on both of them - SO MANY MORE functions are available using a Mouse.

I use the smallest Blue Tooth mouse I can buy - saves losing an USB Slot which happens if I used a Wireless Mouse.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 2, 2018
Ask a Question