How to retrieve AcerOneXP key to reinstall XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by maurizioammannato, Nov 1, 2008.

1. maurizioammannato

maurizioammannato

I have an Acer one 150x with Windows XP.
    I got the PSYCHE.EXE virus who infectd ALL .exe program.
    Then I activated AVG ativirus who found this mess of infected file and removed ALL of them (applications and windows executable and essential windows .dll).
    Because eRecovery din't work atl all for previous reason (AVG cancellation due to infection), I tryed to boot with suggested alt-F10.
    It initially worked and copied files but when had to reboot to start again i saw the terrible bue screen with "unrecoverable error etc..".
    Now I have a copy of another XP on CD and I want to reinstall XP with this copy.

Because I just bought an XP licence with the PC, I don't want to pay for another licence.

Once i'll be able to reinstall XP via USB key (complex thing but feasible), how can retrieve my old installed XP key on Acer?
    Thank for any help.

Maurizio

maurizioammannato, Nov 1, 2008
  2. maurizioammannato

Jaik

The easiest way would be to create an Ultimate Boot CD. Boot with that and run Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder off a USB stick. In the Keyfinder there is an option to load a specific registry hive, use that to load the registry from your current knackered install and it should tell you your license key. The registry hives are in c:\windows\system32\config\

I hope that helps!

As an aside, it's unusual that there isn't a sticker on the bottom of the machine, I thought that was fairly standard practise with laptops?

Jaik, Nov 1, 2008
  3. maurizioammannato

aspiredragon

Windows Key is usually on the microsoft sticker on the bottom of your notebook.

aspiredragon, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question