How to remove XP partition and keep Win7 partition ?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Bramster, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Bramster

Bramster

For a couple of days I played with Win7. I am convinced it is what I want and therefore I want to delete XP from my system.

Currently I have Win7 and XP in two separate partitions and using a multiboot to choose between to two operating systems. The official downloaded version of Win7 was downloaded using XP.

How do remove XP ?

Bramster, Oct 25, 2009
  2. Bramster

Bramster

Any suggestions ?

Bramster, Nov 12, 2009
  3. Bramster

hanso

Use a partition tool to get rid of the XP and the hidden restore partition, GPARTED will do.
    Be careful to keep the 100 Mb partition Windows 7 may have created!

And then learn how ti sue the BCDEDIT utility of you want to get rid of the 'Previous version' choice, or leave it just there, no problem with that.

hanso, Nov 12, 2009
  4. Bramster

hanso

Just looked at my Windows 7 system, an Acer Aspire One D250 with Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Diskmanagement shows the OEM partition of 7 GB, which can go. It also shows the poartition with XP (now drive D:) as active,primary partition. And the new C: drive, the partition on which where Windows 7 now lives now as primary, boot, page file.
    So, though I have not done it yet myself, I would assume deleting the XP and OEM partition and expanding the Windows 7 partition to the whole disk would do it.
    I do advise to make an image backup on a removable disk, with a startup disk, first. See the Help and SUpport in Windows 7, it has all the tools for this job. In general, making an image backup is advisable. And use system restore points.

hanso, Nov 12, 2009
Ask a Question