How to remove Ubuntu 9.04 OS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by drfhm, Nov 28, 2009.

1. drfhm

drfhm

I upgraded 9.04 to 9.1 when prompted and then reinstaled 9.04 from the origional USP stick i 1st used to change from Linux Lite that came on the AA1 150 months ago. I instaled 9.04 side by side with 9.1 , as 9.04 keeps booting 1st and i like 9.1 i want to uninstal 9.04 . Can anyone tell me in simple terms how to remove the partition with 9.04 on so it will then boot from 9.1 without the need for me to keep scroling down the bootlist to it each time i switch netbook on .

drfhm, Nov 28, 2009
  2. drfhm

itres

You will need to boot in 9.10 then do a grub install:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

I you reboot you should have 9.10 as default (you might also get an option for 9.04).
    You can then do whatever you like with the 9.04 partition.

itres, Nov 28, 2009
  3. drfhm

drfhm

Thanks itres i tried it dident workwhen i typed it in 6 times and double checked i got it right but when i copied and pasted i think it did , this is what i got , what do i do now .

ruby@rubys-laptop:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    [sudo] password for ruby:
    Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
    Installing GRUB to /dev/sda as (hd0)...
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
    Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
    fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(hd0) /dev/sda
    (hd1) /dev/sdb
    ruby@rubys-laptop $

Now im in a mess , i shutdown and rebooted , now get black screen and a prompt Grub> tried typing in boot and a few other things then tried tab as it sugested for a list of comands , "all i get is Kernal must be loaded before booting so i typed kernel and then get error 1: filename must be either an absolute or pathname or blocklist " dont know what to do now , have i buggered the whole thing up trying to save a bit of time on booting

drfhm, Nov 28, 2009
  4. drfhm

RockDoctor

U-9.04 used grub-1. U-9.10 uses grub-2. With grub-2 you have to make some additional mods. I'm not sure what they are, as I'm still using grub-1.

RockDoctor, Nov 29, 2009
  5. drfhm

itres

May be it is using an incorrect uuid. What you can do is boot the 9.10 livecd then do:

sudo mkdir /mnt/karmic
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/karmic/ # sda1 is the partition where 9.10 is installed
    sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/karmic/proc
    sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/karmic/dev
    sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/karmic/dev/pts
    sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/karmic/sys
    sudo chroot /mnt/karmic /bin/bash
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda

The instructions above mount 9.10 on a partiton and use chroot to temporarilly change the root directory then you can run commands as if you were running then in 9.10.
    You need to know the disk and the partition on which 9.10 is installed. It should be /dev/sda and the partition # will probably be something else.

What you can also do is edit the grub kernel line and put the correct uuid there. To do this boot the livecd, and then run ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid, you should see all uuid choose the one corresponding to the partition where 9.10 is installed.
    Reboot and edit the grub entry (there should be some instructions on how to do that a the bottom).

itres, Nov 29, 2009
  6. drfhm

drfhm

Spent hours reading everything i could find but most was way above my understanding but i did find a way to get my 9.10 OS loading and intact from something i read .

grub >root (hd0,0)
    grub>kernel /vmlinuz
    grub>boot

Could anyone advise me again in simple terms how i can get back to booting without having to type that in everytime . I also would like to remove 9.04 so than it boots from switching on directly to 9.10 as it used to do before i added 9.04 again which i think by doing a side by side instilation i creatd a seperate partiotio but i have no idea which partition each is on or how to find out .

drfhm, Nov 29, 2009
  7. drfhm

RockDoctor

RockDoctor, Nov 29, 2009
  8. drfhm

drfhm

took ur advice read the entire link you kindly postedthen copied and pasted sudo update-grub

ruby@rubys-laptop:~$ sudo update-grub
    Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
    Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
    Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
    Found GRUB 2: /boot/grub/core.img
    Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... Updating the default booting kernel
    done

Then tried this
    ruby@rubys-laptop:~$ cat /etc/default/grub
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" splash quiet"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entrys
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

Found a comand that tells me what grub version i have and its 0.97

Still have to type in the 3 lines to get to to boot , dispite hours of reading and experimenting im no closer to finding the answer , on the up side , once booted everything works , got skype , messenger , limewire auto conect to wireless and all my files complete , as far as i can tell i have everything as i did on 9.04 before the upgrade with the exception of the automatic boot which also worked also till a few days ago , i must have done something but im so careful i dont do anything until im sure its safe to do so .

drfhm, Nov 29, 2009
  9. drfhm

drfhm

Decided to bite the bulet and download the ISO file for 9.10 and Unetbooting and make bootable USB stick . Installed it wiping out everything else on the AOA 150 so it was the only OS . Almost everything worked out of the box , everything , was impressed . Added Skype via Medibuntu and that also worked after a little messing about . Odd that when i was trying 9.10 from the stick i installed Skype stright from a ling on another posting and it worked , when i installed the stick to the hardrive it dident . Seems the upgrade last week had a few things the ISO hasent , cant get aMSN now it needs tk8.5 whatever that is , did a search and cant find it , worked well on the upgraded version . Removed Empathy before trying to add aMSN now i cant get that back either , it says NOT AVAILABLE IN THE CURRENT DATA on Ubuntu softwear centre and isent even listed now on Synpac . There were icons available to add to the launchers i created on 9.04 but not on 9.10 , pity as all my launchers that i added into favorites such as yahoo , hotmail , tv prog lists now all look the same .

Since writing the above i added a coupe of things and sometimes when i boot up i find i no longer have wireless and the HELP icon has changed from a blue ? to a lifeboye and 2 launckers in the top pannel , the internet and volume have swapped their positions, tried the USB that i installed OS from and wireless is again conected automaticly , shut down remove it and go back to booting from netbook and its working again and everything back to normal , realy weird , wonder if 9.10 is unstable ,Any ideas ?

drfhm, Dec 1, 2009
Ask a Question