How to Optimize Your AAO

Discussion in 'Windows' started by erietdyk, Dec 3, 2008.

1. erietdyk

erietdyk

Hey All.

Just wondering if anyone could/would write a guide on how to Optimized the AAO.

What I want to do is get the fastest performance, boot, and shutdown times possible.

Eventually I will be installing the 1GB stick, a faster/larger HDD, and A faster wireless card, but until then, I want to know what I can do to get the most out of my little wonder.

I'm Running:
    1.6GHz Atom (Duh!)
    1GB of Ram
    160GB 5400RPM HDD

Let me know! Thanks!

erietdyk, Dec 3, 2008
  2. erietdyk

melhiore

All this stuff has been already beautifully explained within this forum - plus a lot of variations. Is it any chance you can use SEARCH??

melhiore, Dec 3, 2008
  3. erietdyk

GvidoR

To increase the boot up speed go to Start ยป Run. Type in msconfig and press Enter. Go to the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to launch on startup. That will increase the boot up speed.

There is actually no need to optimize the shut down speed because it already shut downs pretty quick and there is no need to force it.

Something light as an anti-virus would be Avira AntiVir Free Personal Antivirus.
    Light media player - VLC Media Player (Extra Codecs - KLite Codec Pack)
    Light PDF reader - Foxit Reader
    OpenOffice.org 3.0 - Free alternative to Microsoft Office.

That basically covers your needs.
    Optional: You can create a shutdown button on the desktop if needed - a simple shortcut, locate it to "shutdown -s -t 00"

Hope that helps!
    GvidoR ;)

GvidoR, Dec 3, 2008
  4. erietdyk

Mopeto

Mpc + ffdshow + CoreAVC > All codecs pack [wich usually sucks and uninstalling them **** the system]

Mopeto, Dec 4, 2008
  5. erietdyk

JimmiG

Keep in mind while searching for tips on how to optimize, that many such tips are aimed at the SSD-version of the AAO. The SSD has very different performance characteristics compared to a normal harddrive, so many of those tweaks do not apply to your One. Performing them anyway could actually reduce performance instead of improving it.

The harddrive-equipped AAO behaves pretty much like any other notebook computer out there. Most tweaks would involve freeing up as much RAM and CPU as possible by minimizing the number of background processes and programs that auto start etc. Also perform a complete defrag regularly, I recommend using PerfectDisk but the built-in defrag tool in Windows is good enough.

JimmiG, Dec 4, 2008
  6. erietdyk

scottw22

scottw22, Dec 5, 2008
Ask a Question