how to nplay HD in youtube/ overclock in win xp/vista

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by srosh, Jul 8, 2009.

1. srosh

srosh

Hi
    After reading all the comment I went and read/and test the hd issue.
    Intel didn’t like to have fast cpu on the 11”netbook(sales strategies always win the customer) .
    As result they under clock the cpu to 1244-1333.
    you couldn’t play HD or HD in YouTube.
    Asus have resolved it by given a overclock option in the bios .
    Acer didn’t
    Problem solve. How? And for xpsp3 and vista
    Go to and read
    viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15671&start=10
    download
    http://www.esoft.web.id/utilities/setfs ... s-fsb.html

only version 88 work with acer 751.
    Choose only the ICS9LPRS365BGLF
    Use the 210 and get 1410 speed.

If you like to use the configure on start up go to

http://www.n10user.com/viewtopic.php?id=766 read /download /install/its working

after 12 hours working on 1410.temp doesn’t go higher. All hd video/demo/youtube work fast with no hiccups.

Why does the customer have to find it by himself? Why does acer sale a great netbook with the ability to play hd but doesn’t give this option to the customer who bought it? This need yo be answer by ACER sale representative in Europe and the U.S . if I was the boss of them I should cut their balls.
    They took a great product and told the customer he can drive 120km but put the limit on 80
    Simply donkeys’.

So have fun overclock it to 1410(no need for more)
    Posted by s.rosh

srosh, Jul 8, 2009
  2. srosh

TrackSmart

I'm sure folks will appreciate the overclocking instructions. But don't get too mad at Acer for not making this netbook overclocked by default. Some users in this forum have overclocked their systems and found them to be unstable, even at the rated speed of the processor (only 1.33 GHz)! It's likely that Acer received some low-quality atom Z520 processors from Intel and chose to underclock them to 1.2 GHz to avoid returns from customers.

Asus might be paying a price premium to get the best atom Z520 chips.

TrackSmart, Jul 8, 2009
  3. srosh

rebelos

is there any video showing playback of 720p in order for us to understand the meaning of playback with no hiccups ? I am a future buyer and i am trying to understand if hd playback problems solved or not because i have read a lot of sites/forums with different opinions about this product and i am completely confused. My previous netbook was an eeepc 900. I am between Asus eee 1000HE and Acer AO751H.

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  4. srosh

srosh

hi
    as i had the asus eee 900. he couldent play HD files.
    with the acer and setfsb at 1410 i can play them all.
    i use the KMplayer and cyberlink power dvd.
    with ie8 i use to play the you tube in HD. go like butter.click and done.
    the plus compare to the asus 1000 is the screen . no comper between th two. acer is by all mean better.
    But with out the overclock to 1410 it does not play.

srosh, Jul 8, 2009
  5. srosh

TrackSmart

Hi Rebelos. Hopefully this will be helpful and answer your question:

1) Most streaming video plays poorly on these systems because streaming video relies on the atom processor instead of the graphics card. While the same videos may play fine on netbooks with 1024x600 screens, the atom processor really struggles on higher resolution displays (1366x768). So expect dropped frames and stuttering.

2) 1080p and 720p video can play perfectly (no dropped frames) on these systems, but only if it's in the correct video format, and if you have the correct codecs, and if it's played in a program that supports hardware decoding on the GMA 500 graphics card. And it requires work on your part to setup correctly. That's a lot of caveats, but you can get high definition video playback under the right conditions.

Conclusion: If playback of streaming media is something you do a lot, this may not be the right netbook for you. It's possible that Adobe Flashplayer and other streaming video formats will support graphics card acceleration in the future, but that's probably a long way off.

TrackSmart, Jul 8, 2009
  6. srosh

rebelos

Hi TrackSmart. First of all i need to thank you for your answear. I don't have problem to setup my netbook with customizations for HD playback but i need a guide for that. Do you have any link describes the procedures ? It's very generic to speak about correct formats or correct codecs etc. Could you be more specific ? Also i saw that inside bios of 751 you cannot change the shared video memory instead of 8mb. Is it a bug of bios? Inside Windows the shared video memory works as 8mb ?

Thanx in advance

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  7. srosh

rebelos

Thanx srosh. So you think that there is no need to wait for another upcoming netbook? You suggest to buy it ? Here in my country the 751 costs 399 euros with 1gb ram and 160gb HDD and WinXP.

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  8. srosh

rebelos

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  9. srosh

TrackSmart

If streaming video is really important to you, then this computer is a poor choice. Other people have overclocked their computers and reported only a small improvement.

I don't mean to disparage Srosh. I just want you to know that his results are unusual.

TrackSmart, Jul 8, 2009
  10. srosh

rebelos

What do you mean that srosh results are unusual ? Please be more specific.

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  11. srosh

TrackSmart

Hi Rebelos. I'll try to clarify even more: None of the people on this forum who have overclocked their Acer Aspire 751 computers have been able to smoothly play HD Youtube video. Even those running over 1.4 GHz. In fact, these people have posted (read the forums) that the improvement is very small for video playback and for normal usage.

In addition, some people on this forum have not been able to increase their clock speeds past 1.3 GHz due to instability. So, even if you purchase one, you may not be able to overclock it.

I don't know how to be more clear than that. And I hope that helps with your decision. :)

TrackSmart, Jul 8, 2009
  12. srosh

rebelos

I don't care about YouTube HD videos. All my questions regarding HD playback is for .mkv (H264) 720p files.

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  13. srosh

srosh

Hi again from Holland
    First I did not bought the acer due of his play back HD ability.
    For this task I have my desktop Intel q6600, as the real laptop I have from my work the apple macbook
    With the 13 inch backlight but I run vista business (me don’t handle the restriction of apple on software)
    After having the Dixons acer 751 for one week and as I can say after I had the asus 701 and the 900,that I have some experience with netbooks.( Linux/win xp/ all extra fan controllers ets, battery cpu programs )
    The acer 751 with setfsb does run HD movie / my test/(Download Clip: serenity_hd_dvd-trailer.zip/ http://www.dvdloc8.com/clip.php?movieid=8419&clipid=2 )
    When I bought him and play the HQ in youtube I got a non playable clip even if I restarted . I than looked up and found all type of “how to resolve the problem”
    The problem always is that people just say it work and with short explanation.
    with all my tests up to know the setfsb is the only one and not with speed of 1.45 or 1.5 . but only at 1.4-1.41.
    I play the trailer and write in office and my ie8 is open, yes its working (just checked again) ,
    Let me summaries
    Would I buy the acer again /yes why?
    The screen is one of the best . his brightness and sharpness is more than great.
    When you have 11” at 1366 x 768 you have the believe it’s a 20” screen .
    Outdoors is poor but better than the asus 900 that I had. And better than old MSI 12” I had (crystal-clear).
    Battery time is great-real time compare to the asus ,, and the apple time . With acer I work with wifi open, Bluetooth, and full brightness. I have to get use to see 5,6 hour to go.
    The fan does not make sound compare to the asus, and can be equal to the mac. Big issue for me .
    Keyboard / one of the best I had . (big hands… )
    Acers have a slow netbook but they all are. Is he fast enough for internet/ play video/ write documents ?–yes he is.
    I don’t say buy this or other but video frame per seconds is not all.
    Does acer come well in my eyes – no
    I am not a usual user. So I can play and solve the problems (sometimes)
    Did I felt that acer have manipulate me and other ? yes for 100%. If it was on battery time ok, on the fan noise ok. but you can’t sale a netbook that can’t play HQ on youtube,
    I call it cheating.
    For normal users that would like the HQ video and mp4 video and can’t make it go faster just forget it.
    Yours
    s.rosh /hollad

srosh, Jul 8, 2009
  14. srosh

rebelos

Thanx again srosh. But now you are really confuse me. Could you please try to play .mkv (H264) files and post results regarding cpu and playback ?

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  15. srosh

srosh

srosh, Jul 8, 2009
  16. srosh

rebelos

If you can record with a camera the screen of the Acer and upload it into youtube will be great.

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  17. srosh

rebelos

Also please try something with lower res. such as a video .mkv 720p.

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  18. srosh

rebelos

In my country i cannot find the white version of 751 so i 'll buy the black-silver one. I prefer the white but its only in our dreams. Acer sells only 1 color of 751 here and i cannot understand this.

rebelos, Jul 8, 2009
  19. srosh

srosh

hi
    no need for youtube and other stuff.
    forget it , you can download the same demo. it look like flightsim with 12 frame per sec.
    does not work with all 3 player that i have.
    i played few diffrent dvd with my extern dvd palyer and they all played great. like on the q6600 with nvidia 9600 no diffrent.

hope its more clear..

reg s.rosh

srosh, Jul 8, 2009
  20. srosh

TrackSmart

I haven't downloaded this particular movie, but I have downloaded and played these 720p and 1080p movies at full-screen using PowerDVD8 (which supports hardware decoding on the GMA 500 chipset). Very smooth. No dropped frames.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

I had to go through a tutorial (sorry - I no longer have the link) to get all of the settings and codecs needed for this to work. These videos don't play in Windows Media Player or in VLC player. Only on PowerDVD or Media Player Classic, using the PowerDVD H264 codec and hardware decoding on the GMA 500 chipset. So, yes, with work, H264 encoded movies will play. MKV files *should* work, if everything is setup properly and if the movie is encoded using H264.

TrackSmart, Jul 8, 2009
Ask a Question