How to install vpn-client

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by bloomianity, Sep 19, 2008.

1. bloomianity

bloomianity

Hi all,

I need some advice as to how I can install a vpn-client. I am a total newbie, nerver touch Linux before. I have downloaded and unpacked the client software and saved it in a folder. I tried to install still via the terminal (trying to make sense of what I read here on installing different things) but it got me nowhere.
    Could anyone give me a detailed explanation? I would be so grateful.
    Thx, Bettina

bloomianity, Sep 19, 2008
  2. bloomianity

Bushmills

That may be a bigger operation than you hoped for. Reason is, (most) linux vpn clients use a virtual network interface, provided by software. A loadable module, usually. but that module (tun.ko) doesn't come with te preinstalled linux on the AAO. Normal solution to this is: compile it yourself - which means, getting kernel sources, compiler, libs. It would work if you can get this module from somebody else who has compiled it already. Alas, I can't help you there as I am using a different kernel version (these modules need to be compiled for the kernel version they are used with).

(edit) here is the tun module which you are likely to need

Bushmills, Sep 22, 2008
  3. bloomianity

bloomianity

Thank you Bushmills, at least I know what to do now! Will getmy Linux-Guru friend to help me with that one.

bloomianity, Sep 23, 2008
  4. bloomianity

openschnitzel

I wrote a how-to about this here.

openschnitzel, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question