how to install usb floppy in linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mish2, Dec 5, 2008.

1. mish2

mish2

How to install my usb floppy drive? I'm running linpus linux lite which recognises there's a floppy drive there, offers me the option of mounting it but doesn't want to read it whatever I do.

mish2, Dec 5, 2008
  2. mish2

rbil

Do you have a disk in the drive when you try and mount it. You have to do it that way as it's the filesystem on the disk that gets mounted. Obviously the disk has to be formatted either FAT32, ext3 or ext2 or any other filesystem that Linpus can deal with before you can mount it.

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 5, 2008
  3. mish2

mish2

Hi rbil - thanks, I formatted a disk with my desktop, copied a file to it and my acer reads it no trouble. When you're trying to do too many things at once you can get a little lost. I used to write music using Cubase on an Atari and I recently decided to set up my equipment and have a go at writing again. I've got maybe 50 midi songs on floppies. With Windows 95 and 98 you could stick an Atari formatted floppy in a Windows drive and copy the files without any trouble. XP tells me the disks are not formatted - (no DOS in XP) - I remembered that linux could see windows files and import them but unfortunately it can't see my TOS files - I'm going to have to find someone who's still running 95 or 98 and spend a day copying them. Many thanks anyway, got me further in my quest and took away one frustration.
    best.....

mish2, Dec 5, 2008
  4. mish2

rbil

rbil, Dec 5, 2008
Ask a Question