how to install new app

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by costbee, Jul 18, 2008.

1. costbee

costbee

I try to install new apps.many time.but whenever I do that my one request root password.I typed my p/w that I use same as user password in setting.but it's not work.How can I do to know right password.Thank for every help.

costbee, Jul 18, 2008
  2. costbee

Raido

I read that the default password for the One is 00000 or 111111, but I'm not quite sure, must say, and don't know if that's the answer in your case either (sorry)

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 20, 2008
  3. costbee

joe90

To set a new root password:
    • Click My Documents under the Files Tab.[/*:m:5b6f1dil]
    • Select File > Terminal. A terminal window appears.[/*:m:5b6f1dil]
    • Type "sudo su" at the command prompt and hit Enter.[/*:m:5b6f1dil]
    • Type "passwd" and hit Enter.[/*:m:5b6f1dil]
    • Enter a new root password. Your password cannot be a dictionary word, but rather a combination of letters and numbers. Press Enter.[/*:m:5b6f1dil]
    • Retype your password. Your new password is set.[/*:m:5b6f1dil]

Also see http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/how-to/aspire-one-apps.aspx for full details on the above with screenshots and the full "Advanced Mode" hack, as published elsewhere on this forum :)

joe90, Jul 25, 2008
  4. costbee

corowakid

Great response - I've used the Laptop site to do the Advanced Mode - worked like a charm. Thanks for putting it up.

corowakid, Aug 9, 2008
  5. costbee

modul8

ok so i can right-click and install apps from the list, but adding new ones, such as firefox 3 is a mystery. i can download the file, and unzip it, but how do you replace the old with the new?

modul8, Aug 11, 2008
  6. costbee

Guest Guest

It will warn you that your password is bad if you use a dictionary word, but it will still accept the password as long as its the same for both attempts.

Guest, Aug 14, 2008
  7. costbee

joe90

Good point, although of course you shouldn't really be using a dictionary word for ANY password, ever :)

joe90, Aug 14, 2008
  8. costbee

Rofa

Me too - did you sort it out?

Rofa, Aug 21, 2008
  9. costbee

nserg

i had just overwrited /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14/ under "su" with the contents of archive, and got ff3.

nserg, Aug 24, 2008
  10. costbee

wyr_taliesin

Couple of minor corrections from a newbie who just had a couple of problems!

enter "sudo su" (no upper case, no minus)
    then ignore the message about 'Connection refused'
    now enter passwd etc. NB even if it says that password is a dictionary word it still allows it.

wyr_taliesin, Aug 26, 2008
  11. costbee

joe90

I probably should have checked on that before copying and pasting, huh :D

But as mentioned above, using a dictionary word is NEVER a good idea - particularly for the root password of a computer that will likely be connecting to the internet - so it's really best not to, regardless of whether it is accepted or not.

joe90, Aug 26, 2008
  12. costbee

fragz

?? :| sorry -- could you plz explain this to me (I am a complete newbie to Linpus too).

I have followed all the steps so far up to here but don't understand how to do this last step to install FF3. Tx

fragz, Aug 28, 2008
  13. costbee

fragz

fragz, Aug 28, 2008
  14. costbee

maxcranwell

OK my first time on a forum and new to linux. have got all the way through download process, have opened up the root password and can right click on the desk top. I can even see the software I,ve downloaded and intalled on the add remove red hat software BUT I can start the software as it isnt on the desk top and I cant find it with right click. the software is SyncE but I have tried with other software and have the same problem.

maxcranwell, Aug 30, 2008
  15. costbee

Darryl

did ff3 work ok?

Darryl, Sep 1, 2008
  16. costbee

klekkus

what command should i use to install .deb files?

klekkus, Sep 5, 2008
  17. costbee

4li5t4ir

I just installed Opera, the installer said that everything went fine, but I cannot see the any icon for the application anywhere(in advanced view) . Any ideas where I can find a way to launch it? Thanks! :D

4li5t4ir, Sep 6, 2008
  18. costbee

ullilein

So how do you UNinstall a program.... It seems that when I use the package manager to install a program and then use it to remove the same program I only recover about 10% of my disk space.

ullilein, Sep 8, 2008
  19. costbee

Guest Guest

All well and good guys but still doesn't help. I can get internet, don't seem to be able to get live updates to run all the way through to downlaod and installation (although it managed to do that yesterday OK). When I try package manager it just stalls on getting stuff from the download / retrieve places it goes looking.

Here is a copy of what I get when I try from terminal.

Retype new UNIX password:
    passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
    [root@localhost home]# sudo yum -y install wine
    audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirror ... &arch=i386 error was
    [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
    [root@localhost home]#

Still seems to time out, so there must be something wrong with the connection, except that I was logged onto the internet (and able to change pages etc) when I tried this. Am working from inside a University network, but get downloads from other systems (even when I don't want them).

Any useful help gratefully recieved.

Guest, Sep 19, 2008
  20. costbee

rbil

If you're already logged in as root [root@localhost home], you don't need to use sudo. Sudo is used if you're logged in as user and want to elevate yourself temporarily to root status. Don't know if that will fix your problem, as it might be something else with the repos, but looking at what you did, is not correct.

It's one or the other - login as root OR use sudo as regular user.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question