How to Hibernation on AAO 250

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by velayo, Nov 9, 2009.

1. velayo

velayo

Okay, I'll try my best at making a guide as to how I got hibernation working on my AAO 250.

1. Download Smartsleep (google for it, its free)
    2. After you have installed Smartsleep go to System Preferences and select Smartsleep.
    3. Set Smartsleep to hibernation only.
    4. Open up Terminal by pressing Alt+Space Bar and typing terminal
    5. Enter this command to verify what is your sleep mode
    mset -g | grep hibernatemode
    6. Enter the following command to allow your computer to keep using the secure virtual memory setting from the Secutiry item on System Preferences
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 5
    7. Download the Chameleon 2 (beta 3 fixed) from the following link and install Chameleon 2
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/jnqlydnmt ... 58.pkg.zip
    8. Restart your computer and put it to sleep when the system comes up.
    9. Start your computer again and it should wake from hibernation with no issues
    10. Unplug your system to check if it goes to sleep automatically, if it does google for Sleepless and install it
    11. Use Sleepless to prevent your computer from going to sleep by itself.
    12. If while using sleepless you want to put the computer to sleep, simply select "allow to sleep' mode on sleepless and wait about a minute. That's what it seems to take to unload the insomnia kext from the system.

Hopefully this will work for you as it works for me. If you don't understand some of these instructions bear in mind that English is not my main language.

Forgot to mention that this method worked with 10.5.7 and 10.5.8, I haven't tried it on Snow Leopard yet. But I will be installing SL on a separate hard drive tonight to see if it works.

velayo, Nov 9, 2009
  2. velayo

SbM

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try asap. Meanwhile, could you correct the broken link to mediafire, please ? Thanks a lot

SbM, Nov 9, 2009
  3. velayo

velayo

velayo, Nov 9, 2009
  4. velayo

velayo

Let me know if it works for you.

velayo, Nov 9, 2009
  5. velayo

SbM

Didn't work here :(

The machine seems to go to sleep instead of hibernating (blinking orange power light), and reboots when I press the power button.

SbM, Nov 9, 2009
  6. velayo

velayo

Did you set it up to Hibernation Only on the Smartsleep system preferences tab?

velayo, Nov 9, 2009
  7. velayo

SbM

Yes I did.

SbM, Nov 9, 2009
  8. velayo

SJester

And I'm stuck at the terminal. Tells me mset: command not found.

SJester, Nov 9, 2009
  9. velayo

SbM

It's actually pmset, not mset

SbM, Nov 9, 2009
  10. velayo

SJester

Thanks; now I'm stuck on the next step. Told it to change hibernate mode to 5, and checked and it's still set to 1.

SJester, Nov 9, 2009
  11. velayo

SbM

did you enter your admin password correctly ?

SbM, Nov 9, 2009
  12. velayo

SJester

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I used the TriBoot image to get OSX, XP Pro, and Backtrack (Debian based) . I'm trying to teach myself Linux basics; I'm on the couch right now with the Linux Pocket Guide. (O' Reilly)

Anyhoo, so far as I can tell there is no password. Unless the terminal password and regular OSX password are different; when prompted for a password during install I leave it blank without a problem.

SJester, Nov 9, 2009
  13. velayo

SbM

When you typed "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 5" it asked for your password. If you didn't type it in, it can't work.

SbM, Nov 9, 2009
  14. velayo

nickday

veyalo - Are you using the retail version of OS X and using the standard kernel (i.e. not Voodoo Kernel etc)? Is this on 10.5.x or 10.6.x?

Thanks,
    Nick

nickday, Nov 9, 2009
  15. velayo

velayo

I'm using iAtkos 10.5.7, installed with the original kernel, DMOS and ACPI battery kext. Afterwards I installed the voodoo 1.0 kernel, and replaced it with voodoo v2 kernel. Using voodoo ps2 kext, inject efi for the graphics card *selected from the iAtkos installation*. Also using Voodoo HDA, patched version to get internal mic working.

velayo, Nov 10, 2009
  16. velayo

velayo

I'm no expert, but I believe that if you are going to use sudo you need a password, otherwise it won't work. I guess you have to create a password for sudo, google for it as I don't know how to do it.

velayo, Nov 10, 2009
  17. velayo

velayo

What distro or installation method did you used. With netbook installer there is an option to disable hibernation, if you used another distro (other than iAtkos) you may have selected something like that.

I'm not using any nullcpupowermanagement kext or whatever it may be called. Try deleting that if you are using it. Otherwise, I have tried it with three AAO including one 150 and two 250 and it worked on the three of them, not counting the numerous times in which I installed leopard again and again, usually after messing it up because of testing.

velayo, Nov 10, 2009
  18. velayo

nickday

Thanks for the info. Can you explain what you mean when you say "inject efi for the graphics card"? Does the D250 have the GMA 950 graphics card?

I've been trying to get hibernate working on my 531h with 10.5.6 retail (with NetbookBootMaker) - but as soon as I install either version of the Voodoo kernel OS X fails to start up (it stops *just* before the login screen shows at the end of the bootup process). So I'm guessing it's something to do with graphics drivers - I've tried various GMA 950 kexts with no success.

Thanks,
    Nick

nickday, Nov 10, 2009
  19. velayo

velayo

Nick:

Try booting up with the -v command at startup, your computer will boot in text mode and you will be able to see at what point in time your system stops. It may give us an idea as to what is going wrong.

Also try to install netbook installer again and at the first screen check if it says enable hibernation as one of the selections, if it does it means that you installed originally without support for hibernation/sleep.

Efi inject is a method to supply the computer with hardware information as real macs do.

velayo, Nov 10, 2009
  20. velayo

nickday

I can't remember what the exact error message was - but a Google around found out that it's basically the last message that will appear before it attempted to start up the graphics (to load the login screen) - therefore the error would be graphics related.

I will have a look at Netbook Installer again. But am I right in thinking that I must use Voodoo kernel for hibernate of any kind to work on an AAO, and the vanilla kernel will not work at all for this?

nickday, Nov 10, 2009
Ask a Question