How to get command-line updater working without errors?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by deptrai, Sep 22, 2008.

1. deptrai

deptrai

Hi,

I just got a new AAO and would like to update the software (from the command-line), and heard that it's Fedora-based, so I assumed that it would have pre-configured yum repos. Yet when, on a virgin system, I ran 'yum update', I needed to update some keys (presumably related to the recent Fedora server problems) -- that's fine, but then I got the following errors:

Code:
    Transaction Check Error:
      file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.1-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1522.no_spot.mcs_patched
      file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.1-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1522.no_spot.mcs_patched

OK, so I ran their GUI update tool (which succeeded), then re-ran yum, but got the same results.

Does Acer/Linpus not use the same yum repositories for their GUI update tool? Is there some other command-line package-manager that I'm supposed to be using? How can a virgin, out-of-the-box AAO be already giving errors on update?

OK, so I searched the forum for 'yum' and found http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3357 so I followed the instructions and ran 'yum update fedora-release'.

Now, when I run 'yum update', I no longer get the file conflicts that I was getting, but rather:
    Code:
    Error: notification-daemon-xfce conflicts with notify-daemon
    Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.16 is needed by package yelp

WTF? I just want to update my software (NOT using a GUI tool) so I can start using the computer. I am rapidly losing confidence in the competence of Acer and Linpus. Any advice to get any kind of command-line package updater working? TIA

deptrai, Sep 22, 2008
  2. deptrai

flatboarder

You may very well add additional software from fedora repository but do not run fedora online software update. This may easily overwrite Acer/Linpus HAL and kernel files. System might become unbootable.
    Acer online update uses different repositories and methods, not related to Fedora. I have not yet been searching for details here, but I have got the impression there is not so much information around about Acer update procedures.
    Regards, Phil

flatboarder, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question