How to fix acer aspire keyboard?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by aspireuyser, Nov 21, 2010.

1. aspireuyser

aspireuyser

when i push some keys i get 2 letters like

ey ru ey ru dn fj fj xb dn 59 48 59 48

acer aspire 1 532h any ideas ?

i got this in the spring

aspireuyser, Nov 21, 2010
  2. aspireuyser

radio1

Hi.

If you have spilled something on the keyboard, your manufacturer warranty will not cover it. An extended warranty may cover it, if you happen to have drop/spill damage included. If it's actually defective- call Acer support and they will help you.

Now if your warranty(ies) don't cover it, Acer can fix it but it will cost $199 plus shipping for them to fix it. Now, this quote is for laptops, but it may be less for netbooks. My toddler spilled some OJ on my wife Acer notebook (5551) I bought her in June, about 2 weeks ago...

1) You can try to clean keyboard. Remove the keyboard. There are 10 tabs on the netbook keyboard. One on each side and four at top and bottom. Use a jewelers' flathead screwdriver and carefully pop the tabs in. Pry the keyboard up and out. You'll see a flat plastic ribbon cable-- carefully release the tabs at the socket and remove the keyboard.
    2) Take a shallow bin or pan and pour some 91% isopropyl alcohol in it. Not enough to submerge keyboard entirely; but enough to cover the bottom of where the key meets the board. Let it sit for awhile. Rinse with water if you'd like and dry via rice in container, a hair dryer at low or even canned air.
    3) You also pop off the offending keys and try to clean the contacts individually- this works if you're very careful. The key assemblies are delicate. I tried this method at first and broke several keys off my wife's keyboard.

At that point, I had to go the second route... Buying a replacement keyboard.

Go to: http://www.cdsparts.com
    They have great prices, genuine Acer keyboards and responsive service.
    Here is the link for the Acer 532 netbook keyboard: http://www.cdsparts.com/p-539-new-acer-aspire-one-532h-ao532h-nav50-series-netbook-keyboard.aspx

I myself have the Gateway LT21, which is a rebadged Acer AO 532h.

HTH

radio1, Dec 1, 2010
Ask a Question