How to enable USB DVD-Drive?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Fri13, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Fri13

Fri13

Hi! I have searched info about installing new Linux-distribution from external DVD-drive.
    I have Samsung Multi-DVD burner (SE-S204) what I have used on all machines (some are without optical drives) perfectly.
    Now I got a "job" to switch Linpus to Mandriva 2009 and I just cant get drive to be reconized on BIOS or F12. The Drive does not come up on desktop either. And dmesg | tail does not give any information about pluggin the device on the netbook. On desktop computer and other laptops same cables and drive works just fine. So the problem must be on the Aspire One. I have tried all USB ports and even with other USB devices (TV-stick, memorystick, WiFi-stick, Externad HD's etc) and all works but not this drive.

Is there somekind tweak what is needed to do to get external drives work?
    Or is it just so that this one drive what I have choosed to get best compatibility for disks and hardware, is fault for _this_ machine? :-D

Fri13, Nov 10, 2008
  2. Fri13

rory

dvd drives work from bios automatically.
    if its not in bios, its not going to work. try another cabl, or try it on another computer.
    if u still have no luck, get another one..
    Rory

rory, Nov 11, 2008
Ask a Question