how to connect to internet

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sheffsal, Jan 15, 2009.

1. sheffsal

sheffsal

Hi

How do I connect to the internet with my notebook?

I have Orange broadband using a speed touch modem connecting my desktop via a usb connection. The notebook wont connect to the internet using this conntection.

When I went to carphone Warehouse for help they guy just laughed n told me to bin it! Specialy when I told him it ran on Linux? (the notebook). He also said to take Linux off n reload Windows. Now Im not abit tech I know how to use the pc but not what goes off in side and I have never downloaded anything (well i dont think so) He says this is a huge job because of the inbuilt camera and special drivers??

Basically I just want to sit on my sofa n connect to the internet so not bothered that the notebook might have a wire attached to it. I have connected via WIFI but only when I first got it n was playing around.

Can anyone help thank you

sheffsal, Jan 15, 2009
  2. sheffsal

daldred

The best way to connect is using an Ethernet cable; does the modem have an ethernet port? There's an ethernet socket on the AAO (it looks a bit like a telephone socket) and if you're lucky there's one like it on the modem. Some nasty cheap cable modems are USB only, but I think they are happily now getting rare!

The only thing is that it's unlikely you can use the ethernet connection and the USB connection both at once: if you want to have your desktop and netbook both connected at once you'll need a router - and in that case you might as well get a wireless one! It's very unlikely that you'll find a router which will use a USB connection, though, so check you have the ethernet socket on the modem first.

If you get a router, do make sure you set up wireless security properly, and apply a propoer password to the router itself - insecure routers are not good!

He's ignorant, then - or perhaps he's hoping to sell you something different and make some commission. [/quote]

daldred, Jan 15, 2009
  3. sheffsal

woodland

Hi and Welcome,

rofl it only shows his ignorance.. he just doesn't have a clue what your talking about... Only a few years ago i got very comparable answers when it came to WinXP.

Check out daldred's answer first
    He is more than likely quite right. If you have figured that bit out and still run in to probs further along the way.. come back here and we'll give you a hand

woodland, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question