How to access Channel 4 catch-up?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sylviag, May 31, 2009.

1. sylviag

sylviag

Hello,

I have no pb watching programmes from the BBCiPlayer website but don't seem to be able to watch those on Channel 4 catch-up. I click the play button and nothing happens, not even an error message. I have Firefox2, the latest Flashplayer (10), I checked on the Java website that I have the recommended version too (v6 update7) for my AA1/Linpus, I have enabled MediaWrap. Any idea why it wouldn't work? Also, I am pretty sure I accessed it when I first got my AA1, a couple of months ago.
    Thank you
    S

sylviag, May 31, 2009
  2. sylviag

noobeeJF

hiya.. just had a look and it does say "Windows XP or Vista PC" only for the OnDemand player...but is this the same one you were wanting to watch? only because the ondemand seems to be the back library of shows, so not sure if its same...
    i run limpus as well and have no probs with the BBC iPlayer (not checked the ITV yet to be honest tho :roll: )

noobeeJF, Jun 1, 2009
  3. sylviag

sylviag

sylviag, Jun 3, 2009
  4. sylviag

sylviag

I don't know if it is related but after downloading Microsoft Silverlight for Firefox as recommended on the ITV player, watching stuff on Channel4 worked!

sylviag, Jun 23, 2009
  5. sylviag

noobeeJF

mine seems to work pretty much ok on all the channels.. although i am having other problems now... groan lol :roll:

noobeeJF, Jun 24, 2009
  6. sylviag

nicholson

Depending on which country you are viewing in, there have certainly been longstanding issues with the ISP providers over their ability to deliver BBC iplayer if it became too popular. In recent news BT was found to deliberatly reduce iplayer bandwidth and for a period alot of people found they couldnt watch iplayer programmes without problems.

Your connection may also depend on several other factors. The power of your computor hardware (cpu, ram, grpahics card. wifi card.), type of operating system, internet port configeration, ISP internet quality of service, distance from the exchange, & the amount of on-line traffic in your area at any one time.

I don't know what system 4oD uses but the 4-catch-up is different to 4oD (on demand). 4-Catch-up is like iplayer in that it is both free and an archive of previously broadcasted programmes.4oD is to my knowledge a pay for access service.

For myself, using a 7 year old mac and a brand new AAO SSD netbook with Linux Linpus OS, i have never really been able to watch channel 4-catch-up programmes without continuous dropped connection issues and i have a generally good quality 24mb service. I can access iplayer with few problems.

n

nicholson, Jun 26, 2009
Ask a Question