How long should you wait to buy a new laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by hades_leae, Jul 7, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leae

I have actually had my HP laptop since January 7th, 2014, which I think is a long time, but it still works and I don't want to get a new one because people assume that laptops go bad after the first year.

I used to believe that, and when the first year passed, I wanted to buy a new one, but couldn't afford it. Still can't honestly. I just want to know if there is a best time for a new laptop purchase.

Would the hardware be the reason for a new one because the software is something that can be updated.

hades_leae, Jul 7, 2016
  2. hades_leae

rootle

I've had my laptop for about half a year more than you. I don't feel like my laptop is old at all and I'm likely to keep it for a few more years. I guess it really depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's just general work than I think you shouldn't have a problem for a while. If you're a PC gamer or use complex software for work, then I guess you'd need to keep updating your laptop.

rootle, Jul 7, 2016
  3. hades_leae

Corzhens

If you mean the replacement of a laptop, my standard if 5 years before I think of a plan for a replacement. Our home desktop is turning 7 years 2 months from now and it should be replaced this year. But we are encountering a budgetary problem that's why we keep on canvassing the prices, trying to find a good bargain that we can afford. Yes, it's a laptop in our mind to replace our old desktop.

PS. I had been posting our plan to buy a new laptop so maybe some people here think that I am just faking. It's true that we have a solid plan to buy a new laptop... just a delay with the budget.

Corzhens, Jul 7, 2016
    something back likes this.
  4. hades_leae

IBMPC8088

People really assume that? What people are assuming that? They must be sipping tea with their pinky finger in the air with a mansion and a private jet if they're assuming that. Laptops do not "go bad" after the first year of use lol. You're fine with a 1, 2, or even a 3 year old laptop in most cases. Usually after 4 or 5 years, from a consumer standpoint, you could start looking to replace the old one (and often still carry the parts from the current system to it if compatible still, and that includes the hard drive and the ram if it's still the same type). There's 5 year old laptops that can run Windows 8 and Windows 10, and 8 year old laptops out there running Windows 7 which is still good for 5 more years commercially, so you have time. ;)

IBMPC8088, Jul 7, 2016
  5. hades_leae

vinaya

I used my previous laptop for 7 years. When I ditched it, I did not ditch because it stopped working. It was till performing nicely. It had minor problems such as over heating, fan making noise, and battery back up. The one I am using at the moment was bought this January,. I am sure will continue to use it for years before I get a new one.

vinaya, Jul 7, 2016
  6. hades_leae

Fuzyon

It depends, a gaming laptop will probably need to be changed once every few years because you need to keep up with the new hardware and software, but a laptop that is solely used for business you can even keep for 10 years as long as you change the HDD and take good care of it. That's what my father did, he has a laptop from 2006 for business, he only added more RAM, a new HDD and then kept it clean.

Fuzyon, Jul 10, 2016
  7. hades_leae

obliviousme

I've had my laptop for a little over 2 years and i don't feel the need to replace it. It's working great and still serves it's purpose. Hopefully it'll hold on for a few more years maybe. I think people who said that laptops should be thrown away after its first year are rich ones.

obliviousme, Jul 11, 2016
  8. hades_leae

BasementMitch

ha ha ha ha ... I buy a new one when mine dies! you know, when it just won't even turn on anymore, or the screen goes blue and it won't reboot no matter what you do? yup, I drive them into the ground!

BasementMitch, Jul 16, 2016
  9. hades_leae

cluckeyo

My last laptop lasted 8 years, and that was with daily use. It finally started having little problems and I decided to empty it onto a new one before it completely crashed. In my experience laptops last a long time. That last one I had, was a Dell.

cluckeyo, Jul 22, 2016
Ask a Question