How long have you had your laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by OursIsTheFury, Apr 30, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury

I've never had a laptop before, but I have a PC, and it's been with me since 2011. Not very long, I know, but I take really good care of it, and if you really take care of something, it will definitely last. It still hums like the day when I got it, and I couldn't be more proud. What about you guys? What's the oldest laptop you own? How long have you had it?

OursIsTheFury, Apr 30, 2016
  2. OursIsTheFury

IcyBC

My oldest laptop lasted me for 7 years, and I loved it until it suffered the overheating problem. I had desktop that also lasted me for 7 years, but due to my children's downloads it became useless. Now, we only have laptops, and my son has his for about 6 years already!

IcyBC, Apr 30, 2016
  3. OursIsTheFury

Sefie

My oldest laptop is 8 years old :p I bought it back in 2008, my newest one is almost 3 years old. I hope this new one can last me for other 4 years before it starts acting up like my old laptop did (I still have it and use it for emergencies).

Sefie, Apr 30, 2016
  4. OursIsTheFury

fcuco

I have a dell inspiron 8600 from 2006 and that thing continues to work nicely today. The battery is long gone, the optical drive failed and I had to upgrade the RAM once (remember when you could actually do that with laptops?) With the upgraded RAM I can continue to use that thing today for some tasks. It had windows XP but now it is running a very old Ubuntu that I can't upgrade and the screen has a couple of dead pixels and a weird glow around the edges. What a nice machine, such a workhorse... it served me well trough all these years.

fcuco, Apr 30, 2016
  5. OursIsTheFury

sparkster

Well, the laptop I've got now is only just over a month old and it's the first time I've ever bought a brand new laptop. The one I had before this was second hand when I bought it and lasted quite a while, about five or six years, so it's total lifespan would have been about ten years. That was a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook.

sparkster, May 1, 2016
  6. OursIsTheFury

cluckeyo

I actually just bought 2 laptops and a Chromebox. I have a lot of work that I do simultaneously or in separate areas where I do not want to lug around my equipment. I was amazed at how inexpensively I was able to set things up. I expected to spend way more money.

cluckeyo, Aug 7, 2016
  7. OursIsTheFury

Elektron

Well, I bought my laptop two years ago, so it means I've had it for two years so far, it's a Lenovo laptop that cost me around $500, was a pretty good price to be honest, I actually took it off a friend of mine's hand because he bought it thinking it was a gaming laptop and it ended up being the opposite.

Elektron, Aug 7, 2016
  8. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

My laptop is an issue of our company. It is my official computer since more than 2 years ago. I have 2 units which are located in 2 different sites so the laptop is my only choice of computer for work. My laptop is an HP Elite running on Windows 7 although there is word in the office that we are to upgrade to Windows 10 before the end of the the year. I am very comfortable with my laptop that's why my husband is also planning to buy an HP to replace our old home desktop. However, an HP is quite expensive and beyond our budget.

Corzhens, Aug 7, 2016
  9. OursIsTheFury

AngelicDevilTel

My oldest laptop was about 8 years old when it finally died
    The one I currently have is probably 6 years old (I got it around the time I started dating my husband so that is how I remember)

I had a desktop a long time ago, we had that for about 6 - 7 years before it got struck by lightening.

AngelicDevilTel, Aug 7, 2016
  10. OursIsTheFury

nicky.b

Oh boy, I've had my current laptop for almost six years now. Between my love of PCs and having a smartphone I found that I haven't had a great amount of need for it. Though with school approaching, I know I need to get myself a new one. As much as I love this old hunk of junk, this CPU just isn't cutting it anymore. It's sad though as I know I will never find a new laptop with as solid of a battery as this one. I've had it on long flights without ever worrying about power, I've left it uncharged for weeks and it's always ready for me. I feel I'm bound to this laptop and I know I'll have to keep part of it because it's just too much a part of my life in these last couple years. I'll always love my hunk of junk.

nicky.b, Aug 13, 2016
  11. OursIsTheFury

rootle

I've had the current one I own for almost exactly two years now. It's a pretty great laptop and it has served me well. It is my first laptop ever and I'd feel weird if I were to get a new one. I've gotten quite attached to the one I have. It's not really had any serious problems so far, but I guess it's still fairly early on.

rootle, Aug 22, 2016
  12. OursIsTheFury

acerme2

My laptop is now two years old and its my first laptop. I hope it will last for 4 years given the use and abuses it has so far taken from me. I know laptops can last longer if it's more or less fixed on a table but mine is not because I'm taking portability to the max. The battery still packs a lot of power but I've had some hanging episodes in the past so that might be a warning.

acerme2, Aug 22, 2016
  13. OursIsTheFury

djordjem87

I guess this one is quite old. More than 4 years and the only reason it is working well is I use Ubuntu on it. I also have Windows 7 but when I switch on Windows it goes bonkers. I used Ubuntu on my desktop dinosaur as well for the better part of our friendship and it was great. You can tell that I hate Microsoft. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop if that is important and it is ready to be replaced.

djordjem87, Aug 22, 2016
Ask a Question