How is Ubuntu running for you?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rscutaru, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rscutaru

rscutaru

To all who have installed ubuntu; How is is running for you? I have the latest version of Ubuntu but I find it a bit slow. Firefox 3 lags sometimes. I installed it on EXT2 because it is a non journaling file system. I just notice a few lock ups here and there. They were not present with Linplus. Does anyone have Xubuntu installed? I also have 1.5GB of ram in my One.

rscutaru, Jul 15, 2008
  2. rscutaru

2manydjs

Is there a list or wiki somewhere with a comprehensive how-to and listing the (optimal) drivers for Ubuntu? This could aggregate everybody's effort to run Ubuntu on the One. Could aspireoneuser.com host this?

Anybody share my interest in this?

[edit]

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, let me know if I should open a new one for this..

2manydjs, Jul 17, 2008
  3. rscutaru

techie

I have Ubuntu running on the Aspire right now....no real issues. Even the compiz effects are pretty quick (actually made me a little dizzy lol) and the ssd seems to be responsive. Am looking to replacing any temp i/o with a ram disk as a tweak next.

techie, Jul 17, 2008
  4. rscutaru

cabrinus

i have problemes to get my wlan atheros card working. Iwconfig, doesn´t find anything...

cabrinus, Jul 17, 2008
  5. rscutaru

b3n3

so far ubuntu is running great on the one. the only problem i have is that the microphone doesn't work...but the sound output and everything works...pretty strange...

b3n3, Jul 17, 2008
  6. rscutaru

rscutaru

I ran Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 and xubuntu 8.0.4.1 and I found xubuntu to be much faster... maybe I just didn't have ubuntu configured properly.

rscutaru, Jul 17, 2008
  7. rscutaru

2manydjs

Is Xubuntu as fast as Linpus Lite? Especially the boot time is impressive with Linpus.

2manydjs, Jul 17, 2008
  8. rscutaru

glibdud

This was a frequently asked question in the EeePC forums. People were able to improve Ubuntu startup times significantly with lots of tweaking, but I don't think anyone was ever able to really compete with the stock distro (in boot time). It's tough for a general purpose OS to compete with something specifically designed to run light and fast.

glibdud, Jul 17, 2008
  9. rscutaru

rscutaru

I don't really care for the boot speed, i just noticed xubuntu was faster then ubuntu in the running environment

rscutaru, Jul 17, 2008
  10. rscutaru

diogosousa

Has anyone upgraded the memory to 1.5 Gb with Ubuntu? How fast is it?

I'm running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 with Ubuntu-Netbook-Remix and it is a little sluggish... I'd like to hear the feedback on this.

diogosousa, Aug 4, 2008
  11. rscutaru

quemaneumaticos

My speaker level is too weak. I dont know why.

quemaneumaticos, Aug 5, 2008
  12. rscutaru

iMav

I picked up an AA1 yesterday and installed Ubuntu last night. I have the stock 512mb ram and it runs fine for me. I did some tweaking and turned off the desktop effects (I certainly didn't buy a netbook for GUI eye candy). I typically have FF3 open with half a dozen tabs, 2 or 3 terminal windows, a terminal services client window open (remote virtualbox work), and pidgin.

iMav, Aug 10, 2008
  13. rscutaru

rachel

I also bought mine yesterday and put Ubuntu Hardy on it last night. Followed the howto religiously (but enter sudo m-a a-i alsa twice; it fails the first time, but works the second; then do a make install in the madwifi directory again as the alsa install will have broken it)

It has 1.5GB RAM. I gave it 500MB of swap, which I don't think it's ever used yet and is probably unnecessary. (I was told a told time ago by a linux geek that as long as it has *some* swap it lets the vm/scheduler do smarter things, and mmap executables; she then went on to prove the point while building a kernel on an IBM PS/2 by using a floppy drive as the swap device and it did indeed make it quicker! But that was in the days of the 2.0.3x kernels, and I'm not sure the wisdom still holds in these less civilised times. :)

Ubuntu, however, works great. Very slow until I completed the SSD tweaks someone linked to. Now no complaints about speed. Now I have the netbook-remix stuff installed and that's mostly good too though not entirely solid yet. (VMWare Server 2 console seems to kill maximus (I haven't installed vmware itself; just used the console to point to an instance on another machine); and you must turn compiz (ie: desktop effects) off before the ume-launcher will work properly.

I don't care about longer boot times as I just let it suspend when I'm not using it. It shouldn't have to get rebooted unless the kernel's being upgraded :-D

The only fly in my ointment is I seem to have one of the whiny aspire units. (Noisy fan problem; i wish i'd found the thread in the hardware forum sooner.) lm-sensors under Ubuntu doesn't recognise any sensors, so no software fan control seems to be possible. Need to find a solution to this as it's a bit of a dampener on actually using the thing for real. :-( But that's not really an ubuntu-specific problem; I don't think this was fixable under Linpus either.

rachel, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question