how fast is a Toshiba 1.8" ZIF drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by james40lancs, Nov 7, 2008.

1. james40lancs

james40lancs

how fast is a Toshiba 1.8" ZIF drive is it worth the upgrade the freeze up on the start menu with a ssd annoys me sometime ,will i have any problems with a zif drive installed and is there any jumpers you need to set before you install it
    cheers

james40lancs, Nov 7, 2008
  2. james40lancs

hal0gen

My toshiba zif harddrive seems to work just like many of my desktop harddrives. XP responds exactly as it does on any of my other computers, no hangs...just an ever so slight delay (which is actually just a setting in windows that can be changed). Over the stock ssd my aao110 came with, i definitely love my zif hd. Id still really rather have a faster ssd or even a 300xCF card instead, but my zif drive was free, and works perfectly well. I notice no difference in speed between my aao and my main desktop as far as general daily usage...other than my aao booting a good 2mins faster :)

As far as the installation, theres already tons of info in the forums about that, but i would like to make one note that may help out, as sometimes the threads are a bit of a pain to dig through. Theres no jumpers or anything, just remove the ssd and plug in the zif hd. I secured mine with 3M double-sided foam tape squares. The cable is the thing everyone seems to get stuck on. The stock cable is a bit too think to fit the hd because of the hard plastic thats attached at the end of it where it slides into the drive. Many people have just sanded that piece of plastic until it was thin enough to fit, and thats a perfectly good option. I also read a lot about the type of drive you use determing whether u need a reversed cable or not (one has the contacts on the end both on the same side, a flip cable has the contacts on one side on one end, then on the reverse side on the other end). I solved both the thickness and the flip cable issue by just carefully peeling the hard plastic strip off of the end of my cable that attaches to the hd, then i folded the end of the cable exactly in half through the contacts, so there would be contacts on both sides of that end of the cable. It booted and recongnized perfectly the first try, havent had any issues whatsoever.

The only thing i would suggest is that if you do it, get the largest (capacity) drive you can. I just happened to have a 20gb drive lying around, so i used it. I find myself wishing i had (and i still might) just purchased a 250 or 300gb drive. I had no idea id use this thing so much, and space is already running out :p

gl, whatever you choose.

hal0gen, Nov 7, 2008
  3. james40lancs

james40lancs

thanks for your info hal0gen ive been offerd a 30gig for £30 i think ill buy it and i think i should be ok fitting it ive just stripped it down to fit 1 gig of ram and had no problems doing it
    cheers

james40lancs, Nov 7, 2008
  4. james40lancs

james40lancs

is the toshiba MK3008GAL 30Gb 1.8" Hard Drive ZIF fine to use in my 110

james40lancs, Nov 9, 2008
  5. james40lancs

hal0gen

ugh. late reply, but yes. that drive seems to be one of the most common used here. mine is just an older, 20gig version of the same the same drive. enjoy it! <3 my hdd

hal0gen, Nov 13, 2008
  6. james40lancs

carbin19

Guys, i just did the ssd to Toshiba ZIF hdd convert, how come i keep getting the "no bootable device found, insert boot disk and press any key" error message, although the Toshiba MK1231GAL 120gb hdd is shown in the bios info page. Also, if i try to boot Windows XP from my external ODD, it stops after loading the system files, says, no harddrive found. Does this have something to do with the BIOS version? Mines ver.3109. Its a brand new drive by the way, and does the usual, normal spinup sounds the way a normal hdd does. Help please.

carbin19, Jan 2, 2009
  7. james40lancs

jbdarkblue

@carbin19
    I had this problem with a desktop hard drive. Windows installation wouldn't detect it but a computer running windows would. I had to format the drive in another computer. After that windows installation detected it. I don't know how you would do that with the 40 pin zif drive. Maybe try this. How much did that drive cost? I was thinking of geting that drive but thought it was too much for only 120 gigs. I decided to solder a sata connector and put a normal 2.5" laptop hdd in there. Got a 500 gig Seagate Momentus 5400.6. Anyway hope you get it working.

jbdarkblue, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question