how do you guys run GUildwar flawlessly?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Tallytail, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Tallytail

Tallytail

mine is 1gig 160hd with XP

it runs but about 10-15 FPS in the main city. How are you guys running it so well? do i need to tweak mine?

Tallytail, Nov 6, 2008
  2. Tallytail

jair2k4

drop your quality settings.

also, right click on the guild wars shortcut, go to properties
    add in the command switch -dx8 and -noshaders

jair2k4, Nov 6, 2008
  3. Tallytail

Tallytail

ok thanks, where is do i add the -dx8 and -noshaders??
    do i add it in the target box like this? (((( "c:\program files\guildwars\gw.exe" -dx8 -no shaders)))

i am not sure please confirm thank you.

Tallytail, Nov 6, 2008
  4. Tallytail

jair2k4

just like that, except noshaders is one word.

jair2k4, Nov 7, 2008
  5. Tallytail

Tallytail

i just used those commands and it made no differences. I get around 10fps or less in the starter city . The graphics are very low. I seen videos at youtube with someone playing this game with max graphics and good fps. How is that possible? i have 1gig rams and xp btw. please help.

Tallytail, Nov 7, 2008
  6. Tallytail

jair2k4

what campaign did you pick? factions?

play through the first city, usually the main cities are hell on your gpu.

jair2k4, Nov 7, 2008
  7. Tallytail

Tallytail

i only got the core. i made a new char and when i got into the city, i get very low fps. i just dont understand why some people claim that they can run this "smooth as silk" and i seen youtube videos to proof its not a lie. but i mine runs really crappy. :(

Tallytail, Nov 8, 2008
  8. Tallytail

ithildin

@Tallytail

I feel your pain :( Guild Wars runs like crap on my AO A150 with XP SP3. I get only 7-10 fps in towns and guild hall even with lowest quality settings. Switching to "-dx8" and "-noshaders" didn't really help. I'm going to try upgrading my RAM to 1.5 GB (have 1 GB atm) to see if it makes a difference. I will let you know how it goes.

ithildin, Nov 8, 2008
  9. Tallytail

jair2k4

If you got the core, then you got prophecies..... deal with the first few levels, run the first few quests, then get the heck out of ascalon city!

You have to get to the searing in order for it to be really playable.... I'm not sure why you are getting such low FPS in ascalon, my performance is only that poor in kaineng city in the factions campaign. But once you get past the searing and get outside old ascalon, you should be fine.

jair2k4, Nov 8, 2008
  10. Tallytail

ithildin

Ok I've just upgraded the RAM on my A150. I find that the extra 512 Mb RAM don't really make much of a difference for GW, perhaps added a couple of extra FPS. I retraced jair2k4's steps out of Sanctum Cay from his video and indeed saw the FPS spike to 30-40 when the camera was facing down towards the exit. In battle, the FPS drop to 13 but while running around was 18-25. It depends on the camera angle, since a wider view of the landscape will bring the FPS count down. I've tweaked with the options in GW a bit and found that the ones with more noticeable effect on FPS were terrain detail, reflections and shadow detail (in that order). Texture detail didn't matter much, which suggests that polygon count and lighting effects are the main issues of the Intel 945G with this game.

If this is what people here in the forum call "smooth" (even "extremely smooth") GW gameplay then I beg to disagree. My old Centrino could hold 20-25 fps pretty much everywhere in Tyria and that was smooth but just barely. GW on my A150 chokes and splutters every time something different happens on screen. I would be more than happy if my One could hold 20 fps in regular sized battles in GW.

If anyone else has a few tips to get GW to run better on the One, please share with us :)

ithildin, Nov 9, 2008
  11. Tallytail

jair2k4

hmm, i'll keep looking at other options. it's true, when i took that toon that was in sanctum cay back over to factions into kaineng, i got horrible FPS..... I didn't, however, lag at all..... just low fps. I will keep playing around with command switches and whatnot.

Also, regardless of how things play out with the settings, I think it would be awesome if all of us got together in game for some grinding or something.... A party full of AA1 users would rock. I've got just about 1 of everything, my mains are typically R/Mo, as i like to poison arrow/scream shot then barrage everything, while still being able to heal the party.

what do yall say?

jair2k4, Nov 9, 2008
  12. Tallytail

Zorofroozo

i'm in!

got a few lvl 20 chars, whould be nice plying with peeps older then 12 ^^

has anyone tryed crossover games from codeweavers, or cedega from transgaming????

Zorofroozo, Dec 22, 2008
  13. Tallytail

ipearl

Well i tried everything with XP to get thsi shit to work !!! I can get it closely to smooth.

So i dunno if you guys realized he is using tinyvista over XP SP3.

Does any one know if using vista over XP have a dramatic impact on graphics ?

ipearl, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question