How do I get online

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by womanious, Dec 25, 2008.

1. womanious

womanious

I got my new mini laptop Acer Aspire One just before Christmas, looking forward to using it in my holidays. But I can't get the damn thing online. Has anyone experienced this? First of all I tried plugging the Ethernet with no success, then I bought a wireless starterkit, the laptop can find the WLAN, but it still won't go online.

Are there some settings I'm missing? I tried following the manual, and still no success. What settings do you use? ?
    Are there any links on the net to pages showing a step by step manual and secure way on how to get online?

I'm thankful for any tips you may have!

womanious, Dec 25, 2008
  2. womanious

markh

Please say whether you have linpus or XP, and say how far you get with the wifi, and someone may be able to help you.

markh, Dec 25, 2008
  3. womanious

womanious

I have Linpus installed. Actually, after a couple of days it looks like I can log successfully on to the wireless router, but there must be a problem between the wireless router and internet. Maybe some settings I'm leaving out? The main computer will not log on to the wireless box either though. Internet will only work by ordinary ethernet connection on the main computer, BUT when I try to connect the same way to the Acer mini laptop, it won't work either.

womanious, Dec 27, 2008
  4. womanious

yelvington

This is a complete guess, but ...

It sounds like you may have a desktop that previously was directly connected to the Internet, perhaps through a cable modem or DSL router.

Now you are trying to add a router with wi-fi access point capabilities, and you can't get it to work.

It may be that your Internet Service Provider is checking the MAC address of the device that requests to connect, and in your case that's the MAC address of your desktop computer's ethernet card. This is very common.

You can either call your ISP and ask them to change their system to recognize the new router, or (easier) get the old MAC address from your desktop system's settings and tell your router to use it instead of its own factory-assigned MAC address. This typically is labeled "clone MAC address" in your router's configuration dialogs.

Once your router is properly connecting, you should be able to use it with either a wired or wireless connection, and with both your desktop and your AO.

yelvington, Dec 27, 2008
  5. womanious

womanious

You understood my problem, and I will have a go at it, thanks!
    (I'm Norwegian and may not explain myself very well in English....)

:)

womanious, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question