how do i get msn messenger,someone please help!!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by haribo, Dec 29, 2008.

1. haribo

daldred

Actually, it's easier than I though it was going to be, I think!

I've looked at the amsn website, and there is a sort of automatic installer thing which you can download. It requires you to have tcl/tk installed - which is installed on my One, but I think I installed it at some stage so yo will probably need to do so.

So the steps are:

1. Install tcl/tk - the packages I have installed are tk-8.4.15-5 and tcl-8.4.15.5. Use the add/remove software function for this.
    2. Download the installer from http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php - the one which works with Tcl/Tk 8.4

3. Follow the instructions at http://www.autopackage.org/docs/how...nd it connects me to MSN without any problems.

daldred, Jan 19, 2009
  2. haribo

slaphead109

Thanks for the above info.

Are all the MSN features supported by AMSN, webcam, emicons etc.

My daughter got the Acer One at Christmas and after live updating messenger worked fine.
    We had to reinstall the OS after it crashed (I didnt think Linux did that) and now after live updating we still get the MSN protocol error.

slaphead109, Jan 23, 2009
  3. haribo

daldred

There does seem to be something odd about the Acer messenger; fully updated versions work for some poeple and not otehrs. I really can't explain it!

(Linux can crash, if you push it hard enough - and the Acer-isation of Linux security systems probably makes the One more likely to crash than most Linux boxes. My main machine runs a cutting-edge Linux distro, based on an unstable repository, so is at the risky end of things - and I can't recall when it last actually crashed; it usually goes months between reboots, and they are only when I have to close it down to do something with hardware or (eg) try a Linux LiveCD from adifferent distro, just cfor fun....)

daldred, Jan 23, 2009
  4. haribo

Shagemall

I've just bought an Aspire one and have been trying to get the video chat on both Yahoo & MSN, neither of which will work. I've run Live Updates, no help. I'm not sure if the video chat is supposed to work on MSN, but pretty sure it s supposed to on Yahoo.

Has anyone else had the same problem, managed to sort it out & please let me know what the fix is? :?

Shagemall, Mar 11, 2009
Ask a Question