How do I access files on my Hard Drive if my Acer wont boot?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by AAO-BOB, Jul 7, 2010.

1. AAO-BOB

AAO-BOB

How do I access files on my Hard Drive if my Acer wont boot?

I have a Acer Aspire One installed with OS X (iAtkos 7) that no longer boots up but I have important files that I want to get off the hard drive

Does anyone know how I can get to those files?

Thank you

Bob

AAO-BOB, Jul 7, 2010
  2. AAO-BOB

scotty2

Re: How do I access files on my Hard Drive if my Acer wont b

You could try booting from a Linux "live" USB disk? This should give you access to the drive. (Not familiar with OS X but I think it should work). I have used this method on linux and windows computers.

scotty2, Jul 7, 2010
  3. AAO-BOB

AAO-BOB

Hi

Thank you for your help scotty2

I tried what you said and booted from a Linux "Live" USB Pen Drive

I got access to the drive and then started to copy my files to another Pen Drive (formated to NTFS to use on Mac and PC)

The smaller files copied across fine (BUT when I opened them up in my other computer (Mac) the files sizes were wrong??!!

As for the larger files (over 2GB) .....when I tried to copy them across to the other Pen Drive ....Linux gave me an error message that said .... "Error splicing file: File too large"

What do I do?

AAO-BOB, Jul 8, 2010
  4. AAO-BOB

scotty2

Some disc formats have a 2GB limit but I thought NTFS was OK. Are you sure it is not FAT format?

When you say file sizes were wrong, was the information there and could you open the file? Was the size completely different or just slightly different?

Just googled your error message and found a post on ubuntu forum which suggested a fix was to remove any spaces from file names. Sounds unlikely but worth a try. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1500384

scotty2, Jul 10, 2010
  5. AAO-BOB

brushless

Bob, how was your hard drive formatted? Was it HFS plus Journaled or FAT32 or NTFS?

brushless, Jul 11, 2010
Ask a Question