How come I cant get a wireless connection?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by thizztapher, Aug 18, 2009.

1. thizztapher

thizztapher

Please explain how I should go about setting this up. I just bought this Aspire One and dont have the slightest clue on how to set up a wireless connection.

When I view wireless connections the only ones that come up are Security Enabled wireless networks, but even when an unsecure one comes up it still wont connect. It'll say its waiting for the network (on a unsecure network) and a network cable is unplugged.

Then when I bring up internet explorer it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. "Most lkely causes: You are not connected to the internet, website is encountering problems, there might be a typing error in the address.

What should I do? Is there some pre-thing I needed to do first.

thizztapher, Aug 18, 2009
  2. thizztapher

wozofoz

"Network cable is unplugged" is a message about your 'Local Area Connection' not your 'Wireless Area Connection' and yes it is unplugged. No problem

There should be 2 computer like icons in the SysTray, if there is only one then:
    • Right click on the icon
    • Select: Open Network Connections
    (OR: Start > Control Panel > Network Connections)
    • Select: Wireless Network Connection
    • Select: Enable this Network Device (in the left pane)
    It will say:
    • Enabling then Enabled
    • Acquiring Network Address
    • Connected (if you have a strong enough signal)

When the Wireless Area Connection icon is present, hover over it and a pop-up bubble will tell you EG:
    Network name
    Speed: 54.0 mbps
    Signal Strength: Good

Signal strength is very important, try to get at least 'Good' (move closer to the Router).
    'Low' or even 'Very Low' can still work but don't be surprised if it stops working any time it feels like it ;)

Also, if pages won't load etc right click on the SysTray icon and choose 'Repair' this might help.

If you have not changed any settings then finding the network and connecting should be all automatic. You will only need to put in the password where applicable.

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Aug 19, 2009
Ask a Question