How can I get the screen to look the same as my desktop?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by atikovi, Dec 21, 2009.

1. atikovi

atikovi

Here is my desktop screen:

[​IMG]

It has the buttons for Refresh, Favorites, etc.

here is the Acer screen:

[​IMG]

and it doesn't have those buttons. How can I add them on, and how can I get rid of those useless tabs?

atikovi, Dec 21, 2009
  2. atikovi

Forone

I'm not sure, but your desktop might be running IE7 instead of IE8 - the newer IE8 is better generally, but the toolbars compressed better in the older version.

You want to right-click on the toolbars and play with checking and unchecking the settings to show what you want. You might be able to combine things from different toolbars by dragging them all onto one, then uncheck the empty toolbar so it disappears. Just play around to see what it lets you do.

If you look at the "Customize" you can find an icon for "Full Screen" that you can drag into the toolbar. If you click "Full Screen", all the toolbars will disappear leaving the whole screen for web pages to display, until you bring the mouse cursor up to the very top. This is handy for the little netbook screen, in particular.

Personally, I like FireFox browser better for many reasons, including that a user can get all the different buttons and search boxes into one single toolbar leaving more screen space.

Forone, Dec 21, 2009
  3. atikovi

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

You have IE8 on your Aspire and IE7 on your desktop as posted above.

The easiest (and possibly only) way to get the Aspire to look the same is to downgrade to IE7.

IE8 does have all the buttons that you are looking for, they just aren't so large or labelled as such.

Refresh is the two green arrows at the right hand side of the URL box. The red cross next to it is the Stop button.
    Favourites are the gold star on the left hand side under the Back arrow.
    When you go into favourites, you can then choose between Favourites, RSS Feeds or your History.

Personally I think the tabs are great, as it means you can have lots of websites open in one windows as opposed to cluttering up the Task bar. But if you want to keep IE8 you can switch them off by going to Tool >> Internet Options >> Then click on the settings button next to Tabs and uncheck the Tabbed Browsing button.

Hope that is off some help?

Cheers

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Dec 21, 2009
  4. atikovi

Forone

I was finding IE8 slow compared to my default, FireFox, but was looking into it and came up with a speed fix. The new IE8 is full of "add-ons" that are accessible in the Tools menu, where there is a "Manage Add-Ons" dialog. The more these things are disabled or deleted, the faster IE8 gets. I went through and purged, and it made a real difference.

Forone, Dec 30, 2009
Ask a Question