Hot Temperature on Case Around Keyboard

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Zenspiral, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Zenspiral

Zenspiral

I just purchased and Aspire One XP 160 GB Hard Drive 6 Cell.
    The case near the keyboard (not the bottom) is hot when running. I mean around the keyboard at the bottom--the palm rests are what I would call hot. When I'm not typing I let my hands rest on these palm rests. An answer that relies on technique--i.e. don't touch these warm spots is not a solution. I want to know if others are having a problem or noticing this heat and whether this is standard or an omen. Should I step back to a smaller hard drive and then upgrade to a 6 cell battery?

I have had the unit just under 48 hours. Amazon charges a restocking fee and defaults to ACER for any problems. This seems like a major problem. Details below.

The palm rests are very hot. The hottest area is to the right of the track pad. I just put a thermometer against it and it registered at 97 degrees Fahrenheit (F). The palm rest or case to the right of the track pad also has a warm spot.
    The primary concern is the spot on the case that is at 97 F ( Fahrenheit).

I did not notice this heat during the first 12 hours.

I am using the unit plugged in when I notice the heat. I don't think this should make a difference whether it's plugged in or on battery. The unit is very hot. Any other people finding the 6 cell unit XP with 160GB hard drive to be hot. I provided a temperature as what is "warm" to one person, or "normal" to another person is subjective.

A good rule of thumb with electronics to get at normal or warm is to simply understand that the unit is at room temperature in some spots. The fan vent (of course) would blow warm air or at times hot air. The case or places where your hands might touch, might be warm but 96.8 is very warm or hot by equipment standards.

Let me know if this is a norm or a problem.

Thanks

Keywords: Hot Warm Case Heat Palm Rest Trackpad

Zenspiral, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question