Home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fixerman, Jul 19, 2008.

1. fixerman

fixerman

I have a home network comprising three Vista PCs and an iMac. They are all networked and can share files and a printer. Will I be able to add the One to the network and share files and the printer? :?

fixerman, Jul 19, 2008
  2. fixerman

pinchez

I wish someone could explain how to do this for us complete Linux noobs, I want to keep Linux on the One as I already have Windows machines and a Macbook running OSX so it would be mice to have Linux (I eventually want to install Ubuntu) as well, but I'm completely lost on the networking side of things.

pinchez, Jul 19, 2008
  3. fixerman

nizmo

Same here ! Completely.

I'm sure as times goes on, there will be loads of guides, fixes, drivers, all sorts for installing on the one effortlessly.

nizmo, Jul 19, 2008
  4. fixerman

CMark1

Connecting to a network printer was easy in Settings->Printer. I have my printer connected to my Windows Home Server box and was able to print a doc from my Aspire One with no issues.

CMark1, Jul 20, 2008
  5. fixerman

fixerman

Thanks for the response! Did you have to install any drivers?

fixerman, Jul 20, 2008
  6. fixerman

qbic2005

Hi
    for networking I think you should look into NFS or Samba (with samba the obvious choice if you want to share with windows i guess)

Has anyone tried to set a custom HOSTNAME ? because the localhost default is so ugly :geek:
    If so how did you succeed? I didn't, just messed up the whole thing:
    I did:
    /etc/sysconfig/network --> HOSTNAME = hostname.domain
    and edited:
    /etc/hosts

but /etc/hosts keeps changing back at every reboot ...
    (also tried #hostname xxx but no luck either)

qbic2005, Jul 26, 2008
  7. fixerman

Monkey

edit in /etc/rc.sysinit the line
    Code:
    HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
    to
    Code:
    HOSTNAME=<your-hostname>
    that worked for me...

Hope that helps.

Monkey

Monkey, Jul 27, 2008
  8. fixerman

qbic2005

Thanks M.

I hope that someone will still send me the original /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network because those are still messed up for the moment off course ...
    ;)

qbic2005, Jul 27, 2008
  9. fixerman

Monkey

Hi,

my /etc/hosts:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1    localhost    localhost
    127.0.0.1    polly.empty-v.de    polly

my /etc/sysconfig/network:
    Code:
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=polly.empty-v.de

Monkey

Monkey, Jul 27, 2008
  10. fixerman

qbic2005

Hmmm, I 'm still getting the error about my /etc/hosts file at startup (and the system still adds 2 extra lines
    "localhost.localdomain localhost" (this line twice) (even after I replaced the /etc/hosts file by what you suggested.)

And maybe I gave some wrong info, my hostname was indeed accepted once I changed the /etc/sysconfig/network file. Which is logic because the output from '/bin/hostname' seems to be that hostname entry, but it shouldn't hurt either i guess. So I'm still stuck with the error message at the start of X saying that my /etc/hosts is wrong .... (??) Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for the help already

qbic2005, Jul 28, 2008
  11. fixerman

daymz

I'm having the exact same problem, and the fix outlined above didn't work for me either.

- I modified /etc/sysconfig/network to include my hostname.domain (abcd.domain.com)
    - I modified /etc/hosts to include abcd and abcd.domain.com defined as 127.0.0.1, but of course, that file gets rewritten by whatever app on the Aspire One, so that is not working out

So I also tried modifying /etc/rc.sysinit as explained in this thread, replacing the HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname` by HOSTNAME=abcd.domain.com , but that didn't work, after reboot, Xfce4 complained again. I remodified rc.sysinit with HOSTNAME=abcd , but same error again.

Did anyone figure this out yet ? Seems such a simple objective, I can't believe we're only two with this problem. Of course the error message Xfce4 shoots doesn't seem to have any adverse effect, but the popup is still annoying to say the least.

Thanks!

daymz, Jul 29, 2008
  12. fixerman

qbic2005

I found that you should alter your /etc/hosts in the following way ...
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Xfce
    But it doesn't work either (at least not with only that line in, still want to try other possibilities...)

Besides the '/bin/hostname' is just the output from the hostname command, you can try that in a terminal, it should give the hostname you set in /etc/sysconfig/network...

qbic2005, Jul 29, 2008
  13. fixerman

qbic2005

So far no solution yet, but this should be so simple??
    My /etc/hosts gets overwritten no matter what I put in it
    Code:
    127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost
    127.0.0.1	ONE.Belkin
    localhost.localdomain	ONE.Belkin
    localhost.localdomain

Do you think that it gets overwritten by a init script like the keyboard settings? (I think it is normal behavior that the /etc/hosts gets overwritten when mis configured, but I'm not sure)

qbic2005, Jul 31, 2008
  14. fixerman

shihan

The way the AA1 starts up its network is a little peculiar. It gets its hostname form /etc/sysconfig/network (if not, it calls itself localhost.localdomain). But, annoyingly it rewrites its own /etc/hosts file every reboot, so anything in /etc/hosts you put there will be lost.

However, because of a problem in the way its building its hosts file it'll only work if the HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network is not an FQDN (i.e. mycomputer not mycomputer.mydomain) because it'll put mycomputer.mydomain into your hosts file (twice) and set the machine's name to mycomputer and so it goes unrecognized by xfce (this is actually fixable, as its just a small problem in the startup script).

The script, /etc/rc.d/rc.5 reads (near the top):
    Code:
    linpus_host="`cat /etc/sysconfig/network | grep HOSTNAME | cut -d "=" -f2`"
    echo "127.0.0.1 localhost       localhost
    127.0.0.1       ${linpus_host}  ${linpus_host}
    " > /etc/hosts
    echo ${linpus_host} > /etc/HOSTNAME
    /bin/hostname $(cat /etc/HOSTNAME | cut -f1 -d .)

Where it should actually read (or something like this)
    Code:
    linpus_fqdn_host="`cat /etc/sysconfig/network | grep HOSTNAME | cut -d "=" -f2`"
    linpus_host="`cat /etc/sysconfig/network | grep HOSTNAME | cut -d "=" -f2 | cut -f1 -d .`"
    127.0.0.1       ${linpus_fqdn_host}  ${linpus_host}
    " > /etc/hosts
    echo ${linpus_fqdn_host} > /etc/HOSTNAME

IMHO, this is a pretty dodgy way of dealing with naming (from acer or linpus), if you wanted your own hosts file, that you could do something like this:
    Code:
    linpus_fqdn_host="`cat /etc/sysconfig/network | grep HOSTNAME | cut -d "=" -f2`"
    linpus_host="`cat /etc/sysconfig/network | grep HOSTNAME | cut -d "=" -f2 | cut -f1 -d .`"
    127.0.0.1       ${linpus_fqdn_host}  ${linpus_host}
    " > /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/myhosts >> /etc/hosts
    echo ${linpus_fqdn_host} > /etc/HOSTNAME

and add your hosts to a file called /etc/myhosts

as for why this is happening:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1   localhost   localhost
    127.0.0.1   ONE.Belkin
    localhost.localdomain   ONE.Belkin
    localhost.localdomain

Thats just wierd. its like something is setting you hostname somewhere to ONE.Belkin\nlocalhost.localdomain. Is there anything odd in /etc/sysconfig/network?

I originally thought it was getting the hostnames from dhcp, but it appears thats not the case at all.

shihan, Aug 3, 2008
  15. fixerman

qbic2005

thanks @shihan , that does the job.

just edited the /etc/sysconfig/network and replaced the "Hostname=ONE.Belkin" by "Hostname=One" and now it doesn't complain about my hosts file any more ;)

If you have no objections I'll add this info to the little guide I'm creating...
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=499

qbic2005, Aug 3, 2008
Ask a Question