Hibernate not working on Ubuntu 8.04.1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Thomas8675309, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Thomas8675309

Thomas8675309

I've installed Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) on my system, and I must say it works amazingly well (thanks for the helpful info). But I ran into a problem testing hibernate last night. I have upgraded my system to 1.5 Gig of RAM and installed an 8 Gig SDHC. I have the root file system mounted on a partition on the SSD, and have /home, /var, and swap each mounted on separate partitions on the SDHC. The swap partition is about 1.8 Gigs (larger than the amount of RAM). I also have preload installed, if that's relevant. Everything works great and the system is quite speedy.

When I tried hibernate, I quickly got a blank screen with a blinking cursor. After waiting a little over ten minutes, I found that blinking cursor remained and the system was unresponsive. After deciding that the system was hung, I tried to turn it off by holding down the power button. Surprisingly, that did not work - the blinking cursor remained no matter how long I held down the power button. Finally, after waiting another few minutes, I pulled the AC plug and removed the battery, which finally shut the computer down. When I tried to restart it, the SSD was corrupt and would not boot. fsck exited with an error without fixing the SSD partition. When I booted up from the Ubuntu live-USB drive, I was unable to repair either the SSD partition or the SDHC partitions. In fact, the partition tables themselves were apparently corrupted - the ubuntu installer wouldn't work at first, reporting much of the space on the SDHC as "unusable." Only by running fdisk and deleting all of the partitions was I able to get the disks usable again. I then reinstalled Ubuntu, the same as before, and everything works great again - apparently no permanent damage. (But, needless to say, I haven't tried hibernate again.)

So ....

1. Has anyone else experienced this problem with hibernate on Ubuntu 8.04.1?
    2. Is there something else I need to be doing to make hibernate work properly?
    3. If no one has a fix, is there an easy way to disable hibernate so that no one can accidentally hibernate it?

Thanks for any help.

Thomas8675309, Jul 28, 2008
  2. Thomas8675309

zzats

zzats, Jul 28, 2008
  3. Thomas8675309

Thomas8675309

You are right - sorry I missed your post. Suspend didn't work for me either - but it didn't corrupt the file system (maybe I just got lucky). However, repeated regular shutdowns work fine - no problems at all.

Thomas8675309, Jul 28, 2008
  4. Thomas8675309

axcairns

Bad news - my filesystem corrupted on Monday night but I never used hibernate, only suspend! :shock:

axcairns, Sep 3, 2008
  5. Thomas8675309

rachel

Is it just me... On the wild offchance (and being a reinstall-fetishist having heard about the problems) I tried Hibernate on my Ubuntu install a couple of times and it seems to have worked just fine, and I can't see any signs of filesystem corruption. (e2fsck -f shows it as clean, no apparent problems).

Did this get fixed?

Still, with 1.5GB RAM it wasn't *quick*... hibernate/wake cycle seemed to take at least as long if not longer than a reboot cycle. But it did seem to work...

rachel, Sep 8, 2008
  6. Thomas8675309

Thomas8675309

You don't mention whether you have your entire file system mounted on the SSD, or whether you instead have part of it mounted on the SDHC card. I have the latter situation (/home, /var and swap on the SDHC), and I understand that the file corruption issue may be related to a failure to unmount the SDHC properly.

Or maybe you got lucky. Still, thanks for mentioning that hibernating takes as long as rebooting - makes me not miss it as much.

Thomas8675309, Sep 10, 2008
  7. Thomas8675309

axcairns

There is a kernel config parameter which another thread suggested fixes the sdhc suspend/hibernate issue.

axcairns, Sep 10, 2008
  8. Thomas8675309

rachel

no, i had no extra storage of any kind attached.

Also my swap partition is way smaller than my RAM (640MB vs 1.5GB respectively) so I presume it's not using that to store the memory. Anyone know where's it going? For instance, is it dependent on there being enough free space on the root filesystem?

rachel, Sep 12, 2008
  9. Thomas8675309

mista2

My setup is a Stock Model ZG5, 512MB RAM and 8GB SSD. I have formatted with 1GB swap and the remainder as EX2
    The initial install of ubuntu had no problems I tested suspend and hibernate with no problems, but with only 3GB left I decided to add an 8GB SDHC in the storage expansion slot. Initailly left it formatted with FAT as I intended to use this to share data with my windows PCs at work. Just leaving the card detected as "8GB Media", mounted in /media
    I DD'd the internal drive to it on an ISO file so I'm pretty sure there were no apparent problems with the SD or the reader.
    Yesterday the battery ran low so I hit hibernate. Open on the SD at the time was a 4GB Truecrypt volume.
    Hibernate seemed to go OK, no errors, and laptop powered off.
    On restart - resume failed and had to cold boot. The SD card was clear, no data showing, but reporting only the 2 GB free (what was free on the card at the time.).
    I ended up just having to reformat the card with ext2. I thought it might have just been a problem with FAT.
    Put more data on the card, and on the next suspend, the card would not remount on restart. Restarted thinking it was just the SD slot not working, but I could not mount any removable media, the mtab file was corrupt.
    Forced a fsck of both SSD and SD card on the next restart and was able to get the card mounted (errors detected and repaired on both volumes)
    No more suspends for me until I work out what is breaking 8) I'm going to back up again (to my network thistime 8)) and try a few different scenarios.

mista2, Sep 13, 2008
  10. Thomas8675309

woofer00

Seems worth mentioning in this thread - hibernate and supend seem to work without any real problem on the 120GB HDD model, although some devices might become a little wonky.. I'm wondering if the hibernate issues are limied to either all SSD setups or SSD + SDHC merged drives setups, or f I'm just really lucky.
    fyi, i have my partiions in a dual boot vista ntfs / ubuntu ext3 setup w/separate partitions for home and swap.

woofer00, Sep 13, 2008
  11. Thomas8675309

spinnekopje

I also have the 120GB model and they both seemed to work, although I've only used it for a couple of times. Most of the time I do a normal shutdown.

spinnekopje, Sep 13, 2008
  12. Thomas8675309

lolknight

I have the 120GB model, and originally I had no swap partition.. I made a swap partition and it seems to be working now, but when I Hibernate, the system does a unexpected shut down. Suspend works though...

anyone have any ideas?

lolknight, Sep 30, 2008
  13. Thomas8675309

Poldie

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

Looks like improvements in 8.10, coming soon.

Poldie, Oct 2, 2008
  14. Thomas8675309

luisjorge

Hi everyone! I don't know if this helps, but supposedly, for hibernation to work correctly under Ubuntu, the swap partition must be twice the size of your RAM, or even a little bit more. I have a 120GB version, with 1GB of RAM, my swap partition is 2.6GB in size, and everything works fine.

luisjorge, Dec 8, 2008
Ask a Question