Hi and Problem with Open DNS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by R3DH3AD, Mar 11, 2009.

1. R3DH3AD

R3DH3AD

First post so Hi everyone,

the problem I have is that my little boy has a AA1 Linux and I want to use Open DNS to stop him getting where he shouldn't. I can't change the setting on my router due to Sky locking it down and have tryed entering the dns in the connection manager. It still connects to the router as the main DNS not to Open DNS. For example I have entered 208.67.222.222 as primary and 208.67.220.220 as secondary but when you check the connection information it shows 192.168.0.1 as primary which is the router ip and 208.67.220.220 as secondary. I have reset the laptop a few times but it always uses the router as the primary DNS and it's drive me mad. I'm new to linux so any help would be great.

R3DH3AD, Mar 11, 2009
  2. R3DH3AD

ronime

Can you not re-flash the router with generic rather than Sky-specific firmware?

AFAIK, Sky used to issue Netgear DG834G routers. I have one of these (retail version, not Sky) and I have configured it to use Open DNS successfully.

Even though your linux client is using the router as the primary DNS source, surely your router will in turn be using Open DNS to resolve hostnames?

ronime, Mar 11, 2009
  3. R3DH3AD

R3DH3AD

Ronime, Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I got one of the new Sagem routers which are locked down really tight. I've searched around but can't see a guide on doing this for the new routers. I'm sure they will eventually work it out but until then I thought this would be a easier work around. I may be wrong though it has happened before.

R3DH3AD, Mar 11, 2009
  4. R3DH3AD

ronime

Two solutions spring to mind:

1. Use manual ethernet/IP configuration on the AA1, rather than partially relying on the settings served up via DHCP on the Sagem box.
    2. Ditch the Sagem and buy a used but good Netgear DG834G v4 off ebay. I would be surprised if you cannot pick up an as-new/unused one for less than £20.

ronime, Mar 11, 2009
  5. R3DH3AD

R3DH3AD

I've tried to use the manual configuration on the AA1 but it won't use the settings I give keeps defaulting back to router ip even though it has the correct DSN in primary DSN settings. Assuming I have to use a command in the shell instead of using the GUI but no idea how to do this.

R3DH3AD, Mar 11, 2009
  6. R3DH3AD

R3DH3AD

Just read your post again ronime and relised what you are saying. I have the AA1 getting the local ip from DHCP not assigned. If I assign this IP as well as the DNS this should clear the problem I think. I'll try this tonight and let you know. Thanks for all the help.

R3DH3AD, Mar 11, 2009
  7. R3DH3AD

R3DH3AD

Thanks for the help with I now have this all working.

R3DH3AD, Mar 17, 2009
  8. R3DH3AD

ronime

You're welcome. Enjoy!

ronime, Mar 17, 2009
Ask a Question