Help needed in restoring Acer AOA150 to factory settings

Discussion in 'Linux' started by matthewwoodward, Jul 24, 2010.

1. matthewwoodward

matthewwoodward

Hi there, need a little help with this one, I'm a novice so go easy.

Recently installed the GOS operating system to my netbook, done all the updates but still can't get the battery to charge or the wireless card to work, I've looked everywhere for the drivers and can't find any so I thought I've got no alternative but to return the netbook to factory settings?

Good somebody either help me to find the required drivers or help me to return it to factory settings?

Regards

Matthew

matthewwoodward, Jul 24, 2010
  2. matthewwoodward

RockDoctor

FWIW, I keep a copy of the AOA150 recovery image at http://deli.no-ip.org/aa1. You'll need to expand it, then use dd to copy it to a 4GB flash drive. Then just boot from the flash drive and let it do its thing.

RockDoctor, Jul 27, 2010
  3. matthewwoodward

PHILnFINGERS

May I point out that the second file "aa1_usb_recovery_image.md5sum", with supposedly 60MB on does not work, but instead all I get is a blank white screen with "2550b7147ca1e7d98c9eb03f25fc4a9f aa1_usb_recovery_image.gz".
    In addition, does the USB drive with these two files on have to be bootable, & if so, what procedure/software should be used to apply the files please?

PHILnFINGERS, Jan 16, 2013
  4. matthewwoodward

ryptyde

The "md5sum" file is only 60 bytes not 60MB and the file is used to check against the recovery image you downloaded. If you are running Linux you would open a terminal in the directory where the "aa1_usb_recovery_image.gz" and enter "md5sum aa1_usb_recovery_image.gz" and it will print out "2550b7147ca1e7d98c9eb03f25fc4a9f aa1_usb_recovery_image.gz" verifying that the file has not been corrupted or changed.

Using a Windows computer there was a small utility available on the net "md5sum.exe or HashCalc" I believe that will check your download and verify it.

Also that recovery image is a "zipped" file .gz and needs to be unpacked/unzipped then written to the usb device with "dd".

ryptyde, Jan 20, 2013
  5. matthewwoodward

wctan

Hi there,

Can anyone help me with the DD command? I had downloaded the image but do not know how to go about doing it. Appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

wctan, Jan 31, 2013
  6. matthewwoodward

ryptyde

If you are using Linux it would be like this:
    where "Downloaded.img" would be replaced with the name of the actual image file you have and the "USBDEVICE" would be the device such as "sda, sdb etc." If on a Linux machine plug in the usb device you plan on installing the .img file to and then from a terminal enter "df-h" without the quotes and you can see how the usb device is listed again such as "sdb, sdc" and so on then substitute that sdx designation for USBDEVICE.

DD for Windows would be similar except I believe your usb device would be assigned a drive letter such as "D, E, F etc"

ryptyde, Feb 1, 2013
Ask a Question