Help decide between 2 laptops for me

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by boachD14, Oct 2, 2017.

?

Which do you think?

1. ASUS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. HP

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. boachD14

boachD14

HP Pavilion 15 inch Intel core i7-7700 HQ , AMD Radion RX 550, 12gb RAM, 1TB hard drive
    or
    ASUS Vivobook S15 15.6in, 7th gen Intel core i7-7500U, 8gb RAM, 1tb hard drive and 128gb ssd
    I couldn't get the links to paste. Which seems better?
    Not gaming, light video editing, and school/work.

boachD14, Oct 2, 2017
  2. boachD14

Travis Kidraiki

Dear boachD14,

For video editing and fast performance definitely go with HP. It has much more powerful processor, higher RAM and by Your info a much much better graphics card. The problem You will face is how long do You want the laptop to last on battery.

ASUS has an i7 Ultra low voltage processor which means it will last a lot longer than HP but will suck with video editing when compared to HP.

HP has a slight disadvantage when it comes to loading speed for programs due to lack of SSD storage, but since You will not be gaming or doing heavy saving or loading, 1TB HDD will do fine. Just make sure You have a 7200 RPM HDD on HP, 5400 can get a bit slow.

Hope this helped,

Travis

Travis Kidraiki, Oct 3, 2017
  3. boachD14

Kojack

Is there a third choice? I have had terrible useage from both Asus and HP. But if I was choosing It would be the HP.

Kojack, Oct 29, 2017
  4. boachD14

Travis Kidraiki

Dear Kojack,
    There is always an alternative. Care to elaborate what has been Your issues with Your previous Asus and HP experience?

All the best,
    Travis

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Travis Kidraiki, Oct 29, 2017
  5. boachD14

Kojack

Hi travis. Yes. I had 3 Hp devices of a similar product line, all have multiple motherboard issues. Yeah, it was the DV lineup, I had 2 6000s and a 9000 all be sent back for motherboard replacements because of wifi issues. And getting them back again, still had the same issue. With my asus products, I have had about 6 motherboards drop because of burnt chips, popped caps etc. I had one PCI-E slot literally burn. I also have had 3 vivotab tablets have the Ghost touch touchscreen issues. So, I steer clear of Asus products like I do with HP since I have had nothing but issues using them as well. I gave both companies fair shakes buying lots of their products....but in the end i felt the quality was not there. I have had great success with Microsoft surface products, Dell devices and acer. Actually I have owned about 15 dell notebooks, and about 30 acers and NONE had to be sent in for service work. Thats a pretty good success rate. I am updating my good ole acer 7720 to Fall Creators Update now. that chunk of notebook is SOLID! I have owned 2 surface 3s, while not having any issues with them, I did not like typing on the type covers so I sold them and got my dell 15 5000 2 in 1 and my wifes dell 11 3000 2 in 1 instead. WE LOVE OUR DELL machines.

Kojack, Oct 29, 2017
  6. boachD14

Kojack

Oh...to the OP, My recommendation would be the Dell 7000 series if you want CPU performance...if you want bang for the buck go with the dell 5000 series. I do alot of video and photo editing on my little device and it' is plenty fast.

Kojack, Oct 29, 2017
  7. boachD14

Travis Kidraiki

Dear Kojack,

Thank you for the lengthy reply. Good to know Your experience and learn from it.

Best regards,
    Travis

Travis Kidraiki, Oct 29, 2017
  8. boachD14

Kojack

No problem. I have lots of experience with all different brands....here to help.

Kojack, Oct 29, 2017
Ask a Question