HELP - CANNOT GET A GPRS/EDGE CONNECTION TO WORK!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thepyawkt, Aug 12, 2008.

1. thepyawkt

thepyawkt

Hi,

I am trying to via a GPRS connection with my Nokia 6300 via a USB cable- I have done this with many computers, but I cannot with the connections manager on my AAO. Can anyone tell me how to do this, seeing that this is the MAIN reason I bought my Acer One, and was able to do this on my daughter's Eee?

I have the dial codes, I just need the connections manager to allow me to interface with an external, USB modem.

Any help will be REALLY appreciated - thanks!

~R.

thepyawkt, Aug 12, 2008
  2. thepyawkt

adipradana

What type of data cable are you using?
    Have your tried using wvdial?

adipradana, Aug 12, 2008
  3. thepyawkt

janss

Yeah, the connection manager is kinda stupid.. or simple, how you like to say it.

I suggest you install gnome-ppp on your computer and try it, the standard network manager really doesn't get dial-up connections that well.

janss, Aug 12, 2008
  4. thepyawkt

thepyawkt

Just a regular USB cable - the same one I'm using on my Mac and my daughter's Eee...

The problem is that I cannot find a way in the "connection manager" to be able to set up a wireless or external modem... I'm not an ace with jargon, on other Linux/ OS X environments, you can go to the connections manager, create a new connection, and specify it as an external modem, wireless modem, DSL connection, etc. Then, you enter in specifics, like the dial codes (given to you by your provider), protocals (Nokia IrP, in my case), and be on your merry way....

Is it there, but in a format I'm not used to, thus not seeing it?

:oops:

~R.

thepyawkt, Aug 12, 2008
  5. thepyawkt

thepyawkt

Can I do that through the Add/Remove Software selection via the right-click menu, at the home desktop? Just find that, select it, and then add it?

~R.

thepyawkt, Aug 12, 2008
  6. thepyawkt

thepyawkt

I found the gnome-ppp listed in the Package Manager. Do I just add it and then restart the computer? If so, how do I then access it?

Thanks!

~R.

thepyawkt, Aug 12, 2008
  7. thepyawkt

janss

Just add the program from add-remove programs. It will install under Network (or what was it called) in the right-click menu, you can find it there. I don't think you even need to restart the computer, but you can do that too to be on the safe side.

janss, Aug 12, 2008
  8. thepyawkt

thepyawkt

Thanks - I will try it and let you know!

~R.

OK, I tried it, and I can tell we are closer than before, but it is still not working. In the setup menu, in the device box, it says /dev/modem In the Type box, I selected USB modem. I have the line set to tone. In the Networking tab, I hav IP addressing set to dynamic, and DNS set to automatic. In the Options tab, EVERYTHING is unselected.

I tried to emulate the settings of the other computers that worked fine with the phone, but again, this manager is still different than the ones I have seen before.

I loaded the dial code: *99# given to me by the provider - the dial code that works on the other machines.

When I click connect, I instantly get a message that a connection cannot be established and that no device is present, even though I have it connected directly to a USB port, using the same cable I always use, and am using now on the other machine....

There is some setting that it doesn't like.... It appears to not be able to recognize the USB connected phone...? Also, in the device box, there is no selection for "Nokia Ir", which seems essential. There is a selection for ttyS0, ttyS1, etc.

Any ideas?

thanks - I know we are close!

~R.

thepyawkt, Aug 12, 2008
Ask a Question