Help ahh.. eRecovery

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ssmitty85, Mar 2, 2009.

1. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

Well 3 days and i already screwed up my AAO10... Installed a wrong wirless driver. couldnt roll it back. so i figured i would just do eRecovery, do a full restore. why not??
    Well.. now my comp is stuck in eRecovery managment, it wont restore or boot windows, just keeps goin back the eRecovery... Its giving me the error: Restore failed - Error code=1005(The volume does not contain a recognized file system)???? any ideas....I can access the bios. but couldnt do anything to help

ssmitty85, Mar 2, 2009
  2. ssmitty85

creepinchi

I'm not sure if you tried this, but if you still have the recovery partition I think you can hit alt+f10 on boot-up to restore the machine to factory default. Is this what you did?

creepinchi, Mar 2, 2009
  3. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

I tried to restore from the Acer eRecovery managment under the start menu. which i think is the same thing as alt-f10

ssmitty85, Mar 2, 2009
  4. ssmitty85

Plastikman

It might be possible to still create a cd/dvd set of recovery disks.

Plastikman, Mar 2, 2009
  5. ssmitty85

jeremysdad

That feature is not supported by the eRecovery that is installed on the One.

OP's best route is to return to store for replacement, and not repeat the error. Should be the quickest route. Or he could try to get recovery disks from Acer, but then he would need to buy an external drive. I would just return it if it were me...

jeremysdad, Mar 2, 2009
  6. ssmitty85

Plastikman

The 10" has a recovery disk option. The question is if he has a USB cd/dvd burner. If it is just a hosed net driver, then he should be able to boot to windows and create the disks. that is assuming the attempt he made did not erase his windows.

I have alredy restored mine using both methods.

I think i am on my 25th OS install by now trying to create the perfect install.

PS. talking to Acer Customer Service, They told me that there are no recovery CD's available yet.
    If you hear differant, plaese let me know.

Plastikman, Mar 2, 2009
  7. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

Windows wont boot at all. It tries to do a system restore every time I reboot. Its possible that it did remove windows, but the error came up before any progress was made during restore.. I ordered it online so returning will be a pain. I have a copy of XP from my other comp. Could i use that and my key? or i could try the usb boot??? or send it in to Acer?? Opinions

ssmitty85, Mar 2, 2009
  8. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

Here's some pictures of what im dealin with. Im pretty sure windows is gone.

Every time i turn on the system it goes here
    [​IMG]

This is error during restore
    [​IMG]

This is what i get when i use alt F10. No windows option

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ssmitty85, Mar 2, 2009
  9. ssmitty85

Plastikman

oops, i'm sorry i looked at the post wrong, i didnt see You were the starter of the thread.

That does suck that you are stuck like that. i would try to call Acer and see if they can find you a windows home CD. it look like they screwed up your recovery options.

To answer your other question. you can install an OEM XP Home cd and use the key on your machine.

One thing that you might need to be aware of. You need to have a usb, floppy or make a custom XP cd with the sata drivers if you want AHCI enabled.

You can switch it to ide mode in the bios if you don't mind running it IDE mode instead of AHCI. You loose command queing and hot plug support (i dont think you will miss hotplug since it is your boot drive).

If you do not have a home edition, there are still other options.

Edit: I don't know if this matters at all, is D2D turned on in your bios? the eerecovery might need that.

Also may you can warn others of what drive trashed the system.

EDIT-Edit: I noticed that my D150 is 5 bios revisions behind. I am not sure if you have the ability to make a dos bootable USB and try to upgrade the bios. Also, Maybe You can try turning off ACHCI in the bios. for the restore. You can turn it on after for the factory imadge.

Plastikman, Mar 3, 2009
  10. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

Thanks for the info.. ill try a couple other things. Is it easy to get the Sata drivers? are they on acers website? It was a driver on atheros website, i thought is was a wifi driver, it didnt harm the system. I just wanted to see if the restore feature worked......I might just send it for repair. it would prob be cheaper than havin to buy a external dvd drive.

ssmitty85, Mar 3, 2009
  11. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

Tried it with d2d on and off, and with IDE... so im pretty much done with tryin to get erecovery to work..

ssmitty85, Mar 3, 2009
  12. ssmitty85

Plastikman

I actually am using a PC dvd drive on my netbook with a cheap $10 usb to ide/sata adapter on it.

I have also installed xp from USB thumb drive on this netbook pretty easily.

as far as the AHCI I figgured out how to install it after XP is installed. You can just install it in IDE mode and i'll post a how to if you need it.

Do you have an XP cd and a way to install it?

Plastikman, Mar 3, 2009
  13. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

I do have a XP CD from my Desktop. Ive been lookin into the USB install, but im not that confident to attempt it.. lol I have the cd drive to use from my desktop with the adapter thingy. or i found a cheap external for 50$ on newegg. I just want to get this thing runnin. i can worry about the HD setting later. Whats the best option to try?? a walk through would be awesome.

ssmitty85, Mar 3, 2009
  14. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

I looked at adapters and it looks like they need drivers installed.?? i cant install drivers on my acer. so i dont think that will work.??

ssmitty85, Mar 3, 2009
  15. ssmitty85

Plastikman

if you have a desktop, an XP cd and a thumbdrive, chances are, You are set.

just to get up and running, i would just look around these forums at some of the other tuturoials for making a thumb drive XP install.

I would also check out google and grab a little program suite called "USB multiboot 10". there are a ton of tutorials out there and better then i can do.

I would recommend just doing a straight install first. then, once you are comfortable and have some time, nlite your install a little. integrate your cd key and drivers and trim the fat.

once you have XP on it you can just download the drivers with your desktop from the acer support page and use the thumb drive to copy them over. they all have exe installers as an option the only one that will fail is the AHCI since you are in IDE mode.

I did find the Acer OEM preload stuff that you can use for the install once you feel brave enough to try an advanced install . (it verifies in bios that it is an acer netbook and pre-registers XP and added acers CD key to it.)

Plastikman, Mar 3, 2009
  16. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

I guess i dont have much to lose. Alot of the tutorials im seeing start with the XP files all ready to go on the usb. what program do i use to make the XP files ready to load on the usb??

ssmitty85, Mar 3, 2009
  17. ssmitty85

Plastikman

one thing i did notice, the net drivers need i think SP2. I forgot what the error was i got when I tried them with an XP no Sp install.

I'll be off line for a few hours. i am testing installing xp and win 7 from sdhc and pro-duo (dont ask, i had one and it is better speed then my sdhc).

For the latest drivers use the link on this forum for the ftp to the a150 drivers. go up one folder and you should see the D150 folder.

Plastikman, Mar 3, 2009
  18. ssmitty85

Plastikman

if you have it on CD, you have it ready. the USB Multiboot 10 makes the USB stick from either your CD, or a folder that has the files in it.

The other program people use to make a custom install is nLite.

They then use the "usb multiboot 10" to make the usb image. I'll admidt i am having a bit of an issue with that method the last few days. for some reason i have had a lot of exessive blue screens durring setup that i don't have with other laptops.. i have burned quite a few coasters.

The usb install for vista and win7 is almost a joke it is so easy. they tools are built into vista for that. xp is a bit tricky. it was madea few generations of hardware ago.. so the modern stuff is stubborn.

Plastikman, Mar 3, 2009
  19. ssmitty85

Plastikman

as i am sitting here. and you sound like you might want to try it. maybe it is a good idea if you slipstream sp3 into your install. . you can copy your xp cd to your hard drive and download the sp3 exe, and use the comand inside it to slippstream it.... or..... you can try nlite.

You copy your xp cd to your hard drive, fire up nlite and it asks for the sp3 exe and it takes care of the rest...

then you use one of the methods to make a a thumbdrive from that folder..

sorry for the double posts, but it says you are online and i dont want you to miss something.

Plastikman, Mar 3, 2009
  20. ssmitty85

ssmitty85

MY XP CD has service pack 2 already. Could u show me the link ur talkin about.

ssmitty85, Mar 3, 2009
Ask a Question