Headphones or speakers

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by psanch, May 17, 2016.

1. psanch

psanch

I want to try my hand at transcribing but am not too keen on using headphones/earphones (I have quite a ridiculous fear of germs when it comes to ear stuff!). What kind of speakers would ensure decent speech clarity?

psanch, May 17, 2016
  2. psanch

IcyBC

Sorry to hear about your phobia, but wouldn't the earphones/headphones be used exclusively by yourself? If your computer has a decent speakers already, then all you need is a quiet room or a very undisturbed environment to work in. Speakers price is also vary depending on the brand and your budget.

I have check into the transcribing area, but haven't made the jump just yet. I have a problem wearing anything around my head, glasses, earphones/headphones. I get horrible headaches.

IcyBC, May 17, 2016
  3. psanch

acheno84

I totally understand what you mean about the headphones and germs. I currently work in a call center and up until 2 weeks ago, I was taking inbound calls. I just wash my earphone covers as often as possible. I have an sanitizing spray that I keep on my desk, and once a week I take them home and let them soak in dial soap and water all weekend.

As far as speakers go, I would talk to someone at a computer store. Get the info that you need, maybe test a few different types, and then go online and do some price matching. I'm sure that the computer techs there could help you. :)

I haven't had any issued with germs or infections, so it seems to be working. Good luck at transcribing. I've done a few applications but my at home speakers were horrible so I had a hard time understanding key words and key points.

acheno84, May 17, 2016
  4. psanch

sharatharadhya

I don't mean to disappoint you but I would rather get an earphone/headset instead of a Speaker. Most Speakers give Emphasis on the audio output and Bass rather than the sound Output. If you still don't want Speakers, You should get yourself an Audio Monitor. These devices are very expensive and they have a flat Sound Signature which makes them crispy clear. Anyways, Good Luck.

sharatharadhya, May 18, 2016
  5. psanch

Corteno

If you want to do transcribing a good headset is a must. Most of the time what you transcribe will have a mediocre quality. A nice sounding headset will mean a lot in that case. As for your phobia, there are headsets out there that have washable and changeable covers for your ears. I think Sennheiser have quite a few of those.

Corteno, May 24, 2016
  6. psanch

Foxcat

I would recommend getting a good pair of headphones or earbuds. Not only will they help you transcribing, but you'll have an almost transcendent experience listening to music- the difference is absolutely amazing.

Foxcat, May 25, 2016
  7. psanch

Corzhens

@psanch, you are like my husband who develops a headache when using a headset or even an earphone. That's why when he is creating a video for youtube, we could hear the audio that is usually loud. But I would prefer that you try to adapt to the headset or earphone because that would give you a sort of privacy on what you are running in your laptop. Especially when you are in a public place, the most practical in using your laptop is to have an alternative to the speakers.

Corzhens, May 26, 2016
  8. psanch

rz3300

I have to agree with @Foxcat on this one and recommend a good pair of headphones. There is just something about pumping the music right into your ears that really makes listening to music enjoyable on a while different level. I could really care less about any health concerns at this point, and I know that is foolish but that is just where I am right now. It will cost you a little money though, but you should do some research first and find the right product for you.

rz3300, May 26, 2016
  9. psanch

Vash

What do you plan to use the speaker/headphone for? Movies and music?
    For the same price, a headphone would offer better sound quality than a speaker.

I have both a speaker and a headphone.
    My speaker is Amazon Ultimate Boom. It was $200, but now it is a lot cheaper since newer version came out along with Echo. The sound quality is great for a portable bluetooth speaker.

My headphone is a Sennhaiser HD598. I paid $150 for it. The sound quality is awesome enough for my ears. :)

Overall, the headphone offers better experience when watching a movie, or when listen to music and working on the laptop at the same time.

But there are other times when I am not in front of a laptop. The bluetooth speaker is needed in such situation. However, I often play music right from my phone instead of the laptop.

Vash, May 26, 2016
  10. psanch

artyarson

Well, I don't think there is a choice between these two things. I have both and I can't just choose one over another.

artyarson, Jun 1, 2016
  11. psanch

UpgradeMe

Always headphones for me. You can't beat the immersion of headphones, speakers work but there's something about being able to fully zone in that makes the headphones so much more worth it.

UpgradeMe, Jun 1, 2016
  12. psanch

SirJoe

Speakers won't have such a negative effect on your hearing but unless you don't want to put the speakers on max, earphones will make it easier for you to hear what the person is saying. If you really have such a strong germ phobia and are being paid to transcribe you could replace the earbuds after every use and declare it as used material, but I don't know if there are going to be a lot of clients that will accept this practice.

SirJoe, Jun 1, 2016
  13. psanch

Vash

There is also the fact that headphones are generally much cheaper than the speakers of the same performance. A $500 headphone will have the same sound quality as a $5,000 speaker system. The downside is, you have to wear it to hear it. I found it quite unpleasant in the summer which is too hot for wearing anything other than an ear pod.

Vash, Jul 8, 2016
  14. psanch

vinaya

If you want to try transcribing, you need to have a headphone. When you use a headphone, you have less chances of missing word. If you use a speaker, you can understand what it says but you may not be able to understand every word. I always use a headphone when I have to transcribe or understand the recording clearly.

vinaya, Jul 10, 2016
  15. psanch

rz3300

Well I still prefer headphones if you need that loud bass, which is something that is goof to have every once in a while. i did just make a purchase of one of those Bluetooth speakers and I have to say that I love it. The convenience is so nice, and the sound quality is very good too. I would recommend one for anyone looking for some good sound. It all depends on the person, I suppose.

rz3300, Jul 10, 2016
  16. psanch

redpanda

I did transcription work for a bit. I didn't like it and ended up doing something else but I agree with some of the others here: a good headset is a must for that type of work.

I normally prefer speakers, though. Headphones tend to offer better sound but my ears are weirdly sensitive and I can't find headphones that don't give me awful ear aches. If anyone has comfortable headset recommendations, please let me know!

redpanda, Jul 10, 2016
  17. psanch

joshposh

Any ear piece that is used even in private can be sketchy at times. Best to get our own pair and not share with anyone. After you are done put it away in a germ free, and clean area. Before putting them on the should consider using alcohol wipes and wiping them down and letting them dry before placing them anywhere near your ears.

I use to work the phones a few years back and the previous person manning the phones had terrible hygiene. We had to wipe the desk, phones pads, and head set after he left the office. It was disgusting and I know what it means to be weird out when germs are involved.

joshposh, Jul 10, 2016
  18. psanch

Tshaka

I prefer headphones because it can block out the surrounding sound and it is more feasible. I have had so many speakers that went dead on me. I like earbuds too.

Tshaka, Jul 10, 2016
  19. psanch

obliviousme

I think headphones are best to use in situations like that, that kind of job needs accuracy and speakers is not cut out for the job. Also if you're the only person using the headphones, i think that should be fine?

obliviousme, Jul 16, 2016
  20. psanch

SirJoe

Most people do, all laptops come with speakers and a headphone/earphone socket, even though most laptop speakers aren't very good.

SirJoe, Jul 28, 2016
Ask a Question