Headache - whether getting a laptop with 1T 5400 mechanical drive or 128 SSD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by kennyabcd2011, Oct 21, 2015.

1. kennyabcd2011

kennyabcd2011

I am hesitating between two models of the same brand of laptops. There are not much choices in my area.

I am not going to use my laptop in any gaming, professional video editing or handling any high-end resource-demanding applications. Most likely I will use my laptop for downloading and uploading things between my cloud storage and simple web browsing.

The model with 128GB SSD will cost approximately USD 300 more, together with larger screen and more RAM (from 4GB to 8GB). However, since I know SSD is a "static" drive instead of the traditional "spinning" drive, this is something that has attracted my attention about SSD, especially it's on laptop.

To sum up, my question is

1. Is 128GB SSD enough for me? I cannot think out what I will install in addition to Google Chrome, Skype, Google Drive, GIMP ... nothing else I guess....
    2. The real thing I am worried about is if the 1T mechanical drive on the laptop is much more vulnerable (Since it spins, and laptop could be moved). This is my biggest concerns. The laptop is claimed to meet military standard (Lenovo). Could it mean I do not have to worry about the mechanical drive?

Thank you!

kennyabcd2011, Oct 21, 2015
Ask a Question