HDD Swap Advice for a New Geek...

Discussion in 'Storage' started by jeremysdad, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jeremysdad

jeremysdad

Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9250421ASG - Hard drive - 250 GB - internal - 2.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 16 MB
    (The price on Amazon is $77.99 USD. Pretty decent. I like the Free-fall sensor, being in such an easily-knocked around device.)

I am planning to buy the above mentioned drive.

My question is: My One came with a Seagate drive. Will this be a completely plug-n-play install? Will I have to install new drivers?

Also, any comments as to whether this is a worthy upgrade from the stock 160Gb, 5400 rpm HDD?

I already know how to do the physical install. I am just unsure about the software aspect of it. I have never upgraded a hard drive before...Install, let BIOS discover new drive, reboot, then load OS? Is it that simple, or am I oversimplifying the process?

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice/help you guys have to offer... ;)

Jeremysdad

jeremysdad, Jan 10, 2009
  2. jeremysdad

goofball

It's a worthy upgrade. Noticeable in speed.
    That's about the steps. Install, BIOS should autodetect it, then get onto loading the OS.

goofball, Jan 10, 2009
  3. jeremysdad

jeremysdad

Thanks. It's comforting to receive confirmation...guess I will get on with my order, then...

**Just as a heads-up to anyone else who got a Seagate HDD in their One: The Seagate website offers a version of Acronis True Image 10, free for owners of Seagate products. Look on the Seagate homepage under the "Downloads" section.**

**They call it "Disc Wizard", but it is identical. It even splits the licensing between Seagate and Acronis in the EULA...**

jeremysdad, Jan 10, 2009
  4. jeremysdad

ekianjo

Hey, have you been able to install the harddrive you mentioned ? did it work ?

ekianjo, Jan 23, 2009
  5. jeremysdad

jeremysdad

Yes, and yes. :) It is a worthwhile upgrade. Windows is quicker to load and respond. Programs open more quickly, too. Would recommend it to any One owner looking for a cheap(ish) upgrade. Got mine for $77.99 USD+tax (gay) from Amazon, though it actually came from Buy.com.

Also, it is no harder than upgrading your memory, just a couple more screws to remove/replace. ;)

jeremysdad, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question