HDD Replace with ex ipod hdd - DO THESE HDD WORK WITH AAO??

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Khronic, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Khronic

Khronic

Hi Guys, My first post here, so please bear with me.

I have read through all your helpful posts, however can find the answer I am looking for, so hope someone can help - Ok I just bought the AAO with 8gb SSD. As you all know terrible performance and definately not enough space!

Upon reading posts and tnkgrls upgrade guides (http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/ ... ard-drive/) I decided to go ahead and upgrade. Tnkgrl states she used a samsung 60 PATA 1.8" drive, now, I have decided to try my 80gb Ipod video HDD, ( 80GB ZIF TOSHIBA HDD1784 4200RPM 2MB 1.8'' MK8010GAH ) , i have read up on this drive and appears to be a ATA type not PATA, the SSD is PATA and so is the drive recommended in tnkgrl's info - however its a drive with ZIF so undeterred and gave it a go. I have had no joy with getting this HDD to recognise in the BIOS, although I hear the drive spinning, so seam to have some connection, or maybe its the cpu fan and I am having hearing problems :roll: only kidding.

Now is the issue that the drive is not PATA, or does this not matter? Can anyone answer this for me?

Is the cable type wrong? Have used the one from the SSD. Maybe damaged so will purchase new, but need to know if this toshiba drive will work first - no point in buying the cable if the toshiba hdd definately work work.

I have read that the cables can be tempremental, and that the bios may pick up the hdd after a bios upgrade or reset (by removing battery on motherboard), has anyone had experience of this?

Oh I have also ordered of ebay a 20gb drive (was going to put it in the ipod to replace) the hdd is a mk2006galc toshiba - can anyone say if this will work in the AAO instead of the ipod drive?

Any information on this will be appreciated, many thanks and hope with your help I can get this sorted Cheers! :D :D

Khronic, Jul 4, 2009
  2. Khronic

Stuee

I don't know about your specific issue as I'm new to AAO's, but I can tell you that PATA is the same as ATA. The P stands for parallel, as opposed to SATA which is Serial - that's a totally different connector. Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Always at least do a basic search for terms you're not sure about before posting questions on boards like this - people will have more patience if they think you at least tried to figure it out yourself.

One thought about why the drive wasn't recognised: Did you prepare the drive in any way before installing it? I mean if it was Mac formatted when it was in your iPod, perhaps that's an issue? I don't know.
    I would have thought it would be a good idea to back up any data and then completely reset the drive, removing any partitions, and start again with information from this forum about how best to partition and format the drive.

Like I say, just a thought. Anyone?

Stuee, Sep 9, 2009
  3. Khronic

judeh101

PATA = IDE or ATA
    Try flipping the cable, there are many articles regarding to this problem

judeh101, Sep 13, 2009
Ask a Question