HDD problem with my 2mos. old Aspire One

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kyasuriin, Jun 4, 2009.

1. kyasuriin

kyasuriin

Hello,

I sold my aspire 8.9 and bought the aspire one 10. I bought it last april and before i used it, i made the acer recovery cd. To make sure that the acer recovery dvd is working fine i tried running it. and it works fine. two weeks i go for some reason i want to reformat my laptop so i run the acer recovery disk and the windows won't start up. The error message was boot manager missing. I bought the laptop to acer service center. according to them they have to reformat everything and that's the only solution. the following day i tried to call the service center and inquire on the status of my laptop, the problem was the HDD, it was defective. They replaced my HDD and reinstalled the windows XP free of charge.

When I got home, i want to make a new acer recovery disk. i can't fine the program for acer recovery disk. so what i did was run the old old recovery disk, it won't run. The error message was: CDBOOT:memory overflow. what's this error? is there problem still with my laptop? can i never reformat the laptop ever? from time to time i like to reformat my laptop but im afraid that errors my occur and acer service center might not be able to fix it.

kyasuriin, Jun 4, 2009
  2. kyasuriin

Plastikman

I'm only taking a guess here. I could be wrong.

I used to work for a company that is listed as a authorized service repair shop for HP / IBM and Then Compaq along with a few other brands.

Usually when we got cases like Yours. we did not have the "image CD" for most models. What we did was install the new Hard Drive and just install the OS from a factory suplied generic CD that had the CD key for "IBM" or "compaq" or what ever company's hardware we were working on that day along with all of the drivers on it.

Because they probably pulled a new 160gig hard drive off the shelf. It did not have the Acer partition with the recovery Information. They probably just quick formated it to the full 160 gigs.

Another thing you had had questioned, The D150 ships with Toshiba hard drives. I am not trying to bash toshiba drives, BUT.. I see a ton of them fail. for a while we used to call the IBM Decstar drives Death Stars do to the higher then average rate of failure. It seems those are better now and the Toshiba's fail quite often.

I put a Western Digital in mine right after i bought it and use the Toshiba as portable storage in an enclosure.

Edit: i forgot about the CDoverflow.

It might be that the recovery CD is looking for the partition that you are now missing.

try calling the 800 support number and let us know what they say.

Plastikman, Jun 5, 2009
  3. kyasuriin

kyasuriin

thanks for the info. il try to call them. i can't replace mine coz i don't want to void the warranty.

i just hope and pray that nothing bad happens to the new hdd.

forgot to ask:

if ever i want to reformat:
    is it possible to use my brother's windows xp home edition and use my own product key? will that work?

kyasuriin, Jun 6, 2009
Ask a Question