have International Keyboard, would prefer US Keyboard

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by brentashley, Jul 20, 2008.

1. brentashley

brentashley

[ATTN: this issue is resolved - see post here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=243&p=48050#p48050 ]

I bought my Aspire1 at CanadaComputers in Vaughan, Ontario.

The keyboard is an international model:

[​IMG]

It's fine, does everything I need and more, but I would prefer the plain US keyboard that seems to be the standard issue elsewhere:

[​IMG]

(my keyboard above is just as bright and white as this one but I took the picture without a flash in my basement so it looks a bit yellowed - I can assure you it is not)

I'm not yet aware of any way to buy parts for the Aspire One. Perhaps someone else has a US keyboard but would prefer the international version. If so send me an email - brent at ashleyit dot com.

- Brent -

brentashley, Jul 20, 2008
  2. brentashley

brycej

What type of keyboards have other people been receiving in Canada? Does anyone here have one from NCIX? What type of keyboard did you get.

brycej, Jul 20, 2008
  3. brentashley

ph_leung

Mine from NCIX Vancouver has the English/French keyboard like in the first poster's photo. I didn't realize this until opening the box. I'd prefer te standard US keyboard too. Often I mishit the left '|' '\' key when trying to press the shift key.

ph_leung, Jul 20, 2008
  4. brentashley

brycej

That is not good news. Thank you for posting this information. I won't be buying one if it comes with the international keyboard. I might have to drive down to the US to get one.

brycej, Jul 21, 2008
  5. brentashley

brentashley

It's not as though it's even french (AZERTY) Must be some assumption that all Canadians are bilingual. I can't tell you the last time I wished I had an international keyboard. Gimme one or the other, not something that's neither.

I guess the distribution department thinks everyone in Canada is a Pepsi-drinking lumberjack eating poutine and reeling to Celine Dion and Roch Voisine when they're not listening to Stompin Tom and working on square-headed Bay Street. Perhaps they've seen Bon Cop Bad Cop and figure we all speak Franglais all the time.

Ridiculous stereotypes apparently extend beyond culture into technology...

... or maybe I should just chill out :)

brentashley, Jul 21, 2008
  6. brentashley

jeromlenz

Well it doesn't even look french as there's no such sign like é à è ù ç etc...
    (azerty also and no green 3rd color! the guys who invented that were pretty sophisticated!)
    Looks rather like a mix of US ($) and UK (£ sign) - ah yeah the function keys are in french indeed Esc, Caps lock, Del...
    Good description of Quebec's "crown jewels" though! :lol:

jeromlenz, Jul 21, 2008
  7. brentashley

jeromlenz

I might exchange my US keyboard with yours, I don't really care - "just for fun"! :mrgreen:
    (+you pay return shipping to NYC?)
    And this Quebec lumberjack pepsi-drinker designed keyboard is kinda collector, nay?!
    I'll listen to Roch Voisine and Céline Dion while typing on it!! :lol:
    [attachment=1:3eshea85]celine-dion.jpg[/attachment:3eshea85] [attachment=0:3eshea85]rochvoisine.jpg[/attachment:3eshea85]

jeromlenz, Jul 21, 2008
  8. brentashley

brycej

Wikipedia has a reference to a Canadian Multilingual standard keyboard:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/KB_Canadian_Multilingual_Standard.svg

and the Canadian French keyboard:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/KB_Canadian_French.svg

I have seen and used the Canadian French keyboard layout. I have never seen the first one before. Neither of these are much like the Acer International keyboard layout.

Anyway, the real question is why would they ship machines with this keyboard to Canada? I have read complaints from people in the UK that they are getting machines with US keyboards. This is very strange.

:oops: I don't quite have this image upload thing figured out yet. :oops:

brycej, Jul 21, 2008
  9. brentashley

jeromlenz

Below the message box : 'Upload attachment' tab next to 'Options'.
    That's very nice by the way - no more picture hosting and 5 minutes by picture to copy links.
    Another good reason to come here - hail to the KiNG! ;)

jeromlenz, Jul 21, 2008
  10. brentashley

ph_leung

Yes, as others have mentioned, on closer look, these aren't "real" Fr/En keyboards but there is the French labelled keys and one accented E key combined with some UK pounds and such. I'm not too happy that this is what we're stuck with. I wonder if any US replacement parts will be available for order.

To make things worse, I applied some updates and now the keyboard doesn't default to the proper keymapping. The indicator on the bottom bar shows EN (UK) on boot-up. This stops things like the @ key from working until I switch to the EN (US).

ph_leung, Jul 21, 2008
  11. brentashley

lala

Im hopein for the people in the us get the right keyboard keys

lala, Jul 21, 2008
  12. brentashley

jeromlenz

You can edit the file as indicated here if you didn't already (add 2 lines in bold)
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102&start=20#p1476

jeromlenz, Jul 21, 2008
  13. brentashley

Strawberry Field

Here is Acer's official reply about this issue;

- I asked;

Hi, I am the one of Canadian user for your new Aspire One, and absolutely satisfied with its performance and size except one.

I don't think it does not make sense we don't have a option to choose US english keyboard instead of Multi language keyboard all though the most of canadian user just use english on the computing.

Is there any chance I can get the key board replacement from your Pan-American support line? I can replace the keyboard by my self, and I don't care returning freight cost if there is.

Please give me a response

- They replied;

Thank you for contacting Acer America. I apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced. Unfortunately we cannot provide a replacement keyboard, there are two reasons for this. First reason is this part is not considered user replaceable. Second reason is this unit was designed to have this keyboard therefore a US replacement is not available. I'm sorry but we are unable to assist further with this matter.

Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support

- I asked again;

Okay. Then can I buy an US keyboard from you? I am going to have one of your ASP replace the keyboard.

- They replied again;

Let me clarify this information. There is no US keyboard available for this unit as a US keyboard was not part of the factory configuration. Also please note repairs are only performed by our repair depot. Acer does not have an arrangement for local Authorized Service Providers. The repair depot will not install a US keyboard on a unit that did not ship with one installed from the factory.

Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support

Strawberry Field, Jul 22, 2008
  14. brentashley

brycej

I am glad that I found this thread as I was about to purchase an Aspire One. However, I will not buy one if I cannot get one with the US keyboard layout. I am hoping that it is only the initial Canadian shipments that have this keyboard layout. If not, it will be off to the US to get one.

brycej, Jul 22, 2008
  15. brentashley

osdude

This has been an interesting thread. I think what they may be saying, is that you can not swap the keyboards, because they're made with a specific computer and keyboards are not interchangeable? I don't know honestly.

My AA1 is in the mail, presumably with a US keyboard, but I think I might prefer the International, but the International doesn't seem to have a pipe "|" key?

osdude, Jul 22, 2008
  16. brentashley

brycej

I am not sure, but it looks to me like it has two. The key between the Z and the left shift and also the key above the right shift and left of the enter key. It looks like | and \ on each of these keys. Doesn't that seem a bit strange?

brycej, Jul 22, 2008
  17. brentashley

brentashley

You're right - there are two keys that do exactly the same thing. I may just remap the one beside the enter as another enter key, since that's the one I always hit by mistake.

I'm fairly certain that there is no technical reason why you can't swap one of these for a US keyboard. It's the same old story of corporate drones who can't fathom stepping out of their proscribed business process in order to serve the customer logically. They don't serve the consumer, they serve their master and the consumer is just in the way if they want anything outside the process, no matter how reasonable.

If Acer has any clue at all, they will take their cue from Dell's online forum experience and start monitoring forums like this, learn what the enthusiastic user base wants, and step in to make things right, thus ensuring that early adopters stay happy to spread their marketing message.

Come on Acer Customer Relations, I challenge you to take enough interest to look further back in this thread to get my contact info and get in touch with me to resolve this. I'm not holding my breath but go ahead, surprise me, and you'll have won a vocal advocate for practically no effort.

- Brent -

brentashley, Jul 22, 2008
  18. brentashley

ph_leung

The International layout is a bit annoying. Since Acer doesn't seem to be providing for purchase the US keyboard, I've decided to remap my keys.

The left | pipe key I've remapped as a <shift> key because I keep accidentally hit that when trying to use the shift. The other key that is a annoyance is the right <Alt Char> key which doesn't seem to function like a normal alt. I often use the <alt><left cursor> when browsing. This is the xmodmap

keycode 94 = Shift_L
    add shift = Shift_L
    keycode 113 = Alt_L

ph_leung, Jul 22, 2008
  19. brentashley

Landingsman

I too have similar problems with the keyboard. My US version (I thought) says EN UK. The " and @ symbols are reversed on the keyboard, the _ doesn't type and the # symbol gets me the English pound symbol. I have Linux installed. Technical support has replied as follows:

Acer America doesn't have a website with a user forum so I'm not sure what forum
    you are referring to. We also do not offer updates to the software that is
    factory installed. It also sounds like that user is referring to the version of the Aspire One that has XP installed. In Windows you can set
    up multiple languages for the keyboard and switch between them. In Linpus (a
    version of Linux), which is what shipped on your unit, I do not believe this
    option is available. It is also possible that this is the design of your
    computer. Some units ship with an international keyboard that is designed to
    type characters as you have stated yours is doing. Some units have a US keyboard
    that types the symbols normally. We are researching this matter to find out if
    what you are seeing is normal or not.
    As this unit is very new, we don't have much information regarding it yet. If I
    get any information, I will pass it on to you."

Not very helpful, but I think they are going to realize they have a problem soon. Ashame if we have to test out the warranty provisions on what seems to be a great little machine.

Landingsman, Jul 22, 2008
  20. brentashley

jeromlenz

Try this workaround - should be ok : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102&start=20#p1476
    (+alternate solution on page5 on same post)
    Indeed it's a Acer software problem only (not hardware). They should buy back this forum for their official website!?... :roll:

jeromlenz, Jul 22, 2008
Ask a Question