Have I made a good choice?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Giraffe Man, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Giraffe Man

Giraffe Man

I am trying to get a laptop that will be good for college. I don't play any crazy CPU-intensive games so I don't think a dedicated graphics card is necessary. The screen resolution seems amazing. I will not purchase one without an SSD. However, I would prefer to have one with both HDD storage space and an SSD. With the 2 year complete warranty and taxes this computer will be 1,106.67 (I purchased it before the price went up). That is pretty much as much as I want to spend. I might go to $1,200 but that does not mean sticker price, that means out the door with a complete warranty and taxes included. I purchased the computer linked below at $899 sticker.

I have 30 days to return it at no cost to me so that means 30 days to play with what I THINK was a good choice while I do research on potential laptops which are better.

Reasons I like this laptop:
    -Low weight
    -Looks great
    -Fingerprint scanning technology which allows me to log into applets and websites with the swipe of a finger
    -Solid state drive with decent memory
    -Intel Core i7-6500U even thought its the U version I'm not sure if I'll really need anymore power than that.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.328072500

Giraffe Man, Mar 28, 2016
  2. Giraffe Man

CasualGoofy

The display sounds awesome. 3200 x 1800 on a 13inch is really pixel dense! Gamers would go for HQ. Who needs 1.3x faster processing for using Office Suite o_O?

For something that's practically an Ultrabook, I'm surprised the sticker was under $1000.

I'm not sure why someone review it as poor battery for being under 5 hours of time.

CasualGoofy, Mar 29, 2016
  3. Giraffe Man

Giraffe Man

It is $999 sticker now. I got it during a week and a half promotion the day it ended. I've never heard the term Ultrabook. I looked into it and it qualifies as an Ultrabook aside from being 0.8" thick instead of the required 0.7". I'm assuming an Ultrabook is really good based off the name lol. I hope its a good laptop.

I should be getting it today I'll post back with what I think. If anyone has questions about it I get emailed when someone posts so I'll reply.

Giraffe Man, Mar 29, 2016
  4. Giraffe Man

Corzhens

That looks like a super laptop to me. The resolution of the screen is, as @Giraffe Man said, is awesome. However, that tag price of $1k is very expensive for us although I understand that there are laptops here that costs more than that. If I would be able to buy that, I would probably keep it for good because I am also interested with the SSD storage. And that fingerprint scanning is kinda new to me. I would love to sample that feature.

Corzhens, Mar 30, 2016
  5. Giraffe Man

Sefie

$999 sounds like a good price to me, you did get a good laptop for a good price, it seems. It looks very good and very light. Enjoy it and it's great you have 30 days to test it out.

Sefie, Mar 30, 2016
  6. Giraffe Man

IcyBC

Wow..that laptop looks awesome and thin! Like many above me, I think it is a very good price that you got. Enjoy your new laptop!

IcyBC, Mar 30, 2016
  7. Giraffe Man

spence88

I didn't know the standard thickness for an Ultrabook is 0.7" until now. Nevertheless, I think you can relax those specifications a bit in certain circumstances. Well, according to Wiki, Ultrabook is a portmanteau of the words ultraportable and notebook, seems about right. Anyway, yeah, that's definitely a good buy.

So, did you get your laptop? How was it?

spence88, Mar 31, 2016
Ask a Question