Have decided I want windows instead

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Tonno100, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Tonno100

Tonno100

Sadly I've only realised this after buying my AA1, what are my options?

I think the main thing I need is a windows (xp) license key, what is the cheapest (kosher) way to getting one of these, I have an old Dell laptop, but I think I wont be able to use that product key because it's OEM?

Tonno100, Dec 9, 2008
  2. Tonno100

laughinboy

Your cheapest option would be to purchase an OEM version of XP. Microsoft licensing stipulates that this edition is only available to system builders but you will find many online retailers selling this edition. They may require you to purchase some hardware at the same time. Also note that you will not get tech support from Microsoft if you have an OEM version of Windows installed on your computer.

laughinboy, Dec 9, 2008
  3. Tonno100

donec

Call MS and tell them you have a broken computer and that you need to transfer everything to another computer. Tell them you have the license key for the old computer and you want to install XP on the working computer using the license key from the broken computer. I have done this in the past and sometimes they will say it is OK, sometimes they will give you a new license key and sometimes they will say buy a new license. It is worth the effort to try in my opinion.

donec, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question