hard drive won't show when installing xp.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by bhrich902, Apr 7, 2009.

1. bhrich902

bhrich902

tried loading xp from both a usb dvd drive and created a bootable usb drive of xp as well, but both methods seem to only get me to the part where my drive partitions are suppose to show but there's nothing there, seems is not picking up the hard drive, even though i've made 3 partitions two ntfs and one ext3 for fedora and all seems well when i boot into fedora. i have the red aspire one 10.1 with the 160gb hard drive. any thoughts?, thx...

bhrich902, Apr 7, 2009
  2. bhrich902

clawmvp

if your drive is a S-ATA one u may need to integrate the drivers to your windows installation or if u have a option in bios relatad to S-ATA change it to ide or play with it and see how it works. good luck.

clawmvp, Apr 7, 2009
  3. bhrich902

bwhite1234

As previous poster mentioned, I had to alter bios to get the hdd to appear during install.

There was an issue once XP Pro was fully installed and working if I tried to re-enable the advanced SATA mode in bios as XP would crash on boot even in safe mode. I had to boot XP in regular "IDE emulation" mode and manually load the SATA drivers in XP before rebooting and enabling the advanced SATA mode in bios. There is a post on this forum that explained the process and a URL for the drivers if you search for it.

bwhite1234, Apr 8, 2009
  4. bhrich902

bhrich902

thx for the replies, they might of been the easier way to go about it, i ended up having to install nlite to integrate the SATA drivers to the installation disk then creating a bootable usb installation and then it worked. now on to the next issue on another topic. thx...

bhrich902, Apr 8, 2009
  5. bhrich902

verakot

All I did is changed the drive type in BIOS from SATA to IDE - and it resolved the disk drive not found issue while installing Windows XP.

verakot, Dec 17, 2009
Ask a Question