Hard drive or SD card for page file / eBoostr?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mcnicks, Oct 19, 2008.

1. mcnicks

mcnicks

Hi,

I recently purchased an Aspire One, and I have been rummaging around the internet to find ways to improve battery life. There seems to be a bit of talk about putting page files on SD cards and / or using eBoostr to cache disk reads / writes onto SD. Some articles say that its great, other articles say that its a waste of time and others still say that it will affect performance for the worst. Which is correct?

My hunch is that these things will not help with performance much, particularly in AA1s with 1Gb or 1.5Gb RAM, but that they might help with battery life. I have found that Windows XP just does not like not having a swap file, particulary when it comes to streaming media. For me, both iTunes mp3 playback and YouTube video stutter without a page file. When I create a page file on the HDD the stuttering stops. So would I be better creating a token page file on an SD card? Well, the read/write throughput for a good class 6 SDHC card are about 18MB/s whereas most of the HDDs in the AA1 tend to have a throughput of about 30-40MB/s. However, the seek time on SDHC will be negligable and, more importantly, whenever the HDD is working it will consume about 3W of power. That makes me wonder whether eBoostr might help with power consumption, even if it does not measurably affect performance.

(Those HDD stats are from: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2-5- ... n,684.html)

What do you think?

mcnicks, Oct 19, 2008
Ask a Question