Hangs picture and sound.

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Zhemchuh, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Zhemchuh

Zhemchuh

Good day, I have an HP OMEN 16 laptop with Ryzen 7 5000series, and RX 6600. Shortly after the purchase, a problem appeared: the picture hangs and the sound is interrupted and noisy.
    When does this happen:
    For example, YouTube is turned on in the opera, I hide it, or open another application on top, then the sound starts to get dull, and sometimes the laptop starts to slow down completely, it is fixed in the main by switching back to the opera, but sometimes this is just not enough, but it takes a couple more minutes wait. This problem also happens with other browsers.
    Another example, I play cs go, fps is about 250, everything is ok, and if I hide it (I exit with the windows button, or through alt tab), then on my return, I see 3-15 fps, hard lags, fixed either hide again, go back a couple of times, or wait a long time (during which everything can be restored for a couple of seconds and again lags). Or maybe it won’t be fixed at all, and you have to restart the cs go.
    These are the two most common examples, but it happens in other programs as well.
    During the entire monitoring indicators do not change, they show the same as during normal operation of the laptop.
    In general, you can live with this, I lived hoping for updates of drivers and Windows, but nothing has changed and I'm tired. What is the problem, I don’t know, but I guess that something is wrong with the video, or Windows (11), although it should be 10 (as it was written in the description of the laptop when I bought it), I want to reinstall it as a last resort, but it can do without it.

Zhemchuh, Apr 10, 2023
    MrDale93 likes this.
  2. Zhemchuh

MrDale93

Hi, an Omen shouldn't be doing that especially when its got some decent hardware. Have you got the Radeon software installed? If so make sure your GPU drivers are up to date and all the other drivers being used are the newest versions too.

An issue that laptops do generally face more often than a desktop is overheating, especially when they have a graphics card or a more powerful CPU. They cant cool themselves as effectively as a full sized tower due to limited space inside the case and smaller fans, and once it gets close to its heat limit it will thermal throttle, reducing the power output and therefore the performance to save itself from any damage caused by excess heat. When this happens a noticeable drop in frames will happen along with general speed drops in other areas too, such as the explorer and the browser.
    Switching from Win.10 to 11 shouldn't cause any performance issues as long as it meets all the stupid requirements that version has. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show very close performance between the two operating systems in game, and as such I'd say it would make sense to check everything else before trying a fresh install.

Download HWmonitor and run it in the background whilst you use the laptop as you normally would. A Ryzen chip should be alright up to around 100c but of course the cooler it is the better. I don't know about AMD cards, but for reference my Nvidia GPU doesn't throttle until 93c. That's a full size card not a mobile model, but Id assume they can both take fairly similar heat. Again, the cooler the better, so if you do find its running hot cap the frames in the Radeon software at 60fps and see how that affects performance over time. If you have an SSD, don't defrag it as this is pretty bad for them, only defrag HDD.
    Ensure everything is updated, HWmonitor is running in the background and see what this reports.
    Oh, and one other thing, make sure your power plan is set to high performance or whatever it is called, not energy saving or so on.

Let me know what happens with it

MrDale93, Apr 11, 2023
    Zhemchuh likes this.
  3. Zhemchuh

Zhemchuh

Hello. I'm sorry to keep you waiting. Apparently, everything resolved itself.
    Here's the deal:
    I had (and still have) the Radeon software, there was a recent driver update (after my post) and at first they did not install with an error. Then I downloaded them from the AMD site and installed them. After that, everything seemed to be fine.
    As for the indicators:
    Under heavy loads, the temperature of the processor and video card is not higher than 100, usually around 85-95. I have games and browsers set to high performance.
    I finally refused to go back to 10 windows because, as you said, it's unlikely, and besides, I have only one 1 TB SSD and I don't want to spoil it.
    The more I encountered this, the more it seemed to me that it was a conflict between the built-in Ryzen and the RX graphics card.
    I will keep an eye out in the future, maybe the problem will return. Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Zhemchuh, Apr 18, 2023
  4. Zhemchuh

Zhemchuh

No. I still have this problem, I don't understand when it exists and when it doesn't, under exactly the same conditions, the problem may or may not exist. If I can, I'll upload a video later, maybe it will help.

Zhemchuh, Apr 19, 2023
  5. Zhemchuh

Zhemchuh

Link to the video (on Google Drive). ATTENTION!!! Bad sound!!! This is the sound that shows the problem. There are 3 add-ons in the video: YouTube (in Microsoft Edge), Raid Shadow Legens and Steam. If you launch the video from Steam and play Raid Shadow Legens, everything is fine. If you start a video on YouTube and launch one of the two remaining programs (Steam or Raid Shadow Legens), then everything is bad. The sound starts to wheeze and the laptop freezes.
    This is just one example, this problem can occur with other programs as well.

Link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rUvIUxdj-k2Cgu60KQtExvQLo8IBb9i0/view?usp=sharing
    On the top right side, the system load is monitored.
    By the way, for some reason, I have sound in the video only in the right headphone, I don't know how it will be for you. If anything, I apologize for the quality. .

Zhemchuh, Apr 19, 2023
  6. Zhemchuh

hamsourcream

Based on what you've described, it sounds like there could be a problem with your video drivers or with Windows 11 (or 10, if it was incorrectly installed). Before you reinstall Windows as a last resort, you might want to try updating your video drivers to see if that solves the problem. You can find the latest drivers on the AMD website. If that doesn't work, then a clean reinstall of Windows might be necessary.

hamsourcream, Apr 19, 2023
    Zhemchuh likes this.
  7. Zhemchuh

Zhemchuh

As I mentioned earlier, I installed the latest drivers from the AMD website. As for reinstalling Windows, it is a very undesirable option and I will use it in the worst case scenario when nothing else works. Thank you for your suggestions.

Zhemchuh, Apr 19, 2023
Ask a Question