Hackers can track your whereabouts with Waze vulnerability

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

As if you didn’t have enough to worry about when it comes to being stalked on the Internet, now comes along a new hack to the social driving app Waze.

Researchers at the UC-Santa Barbara were able to demonstrate how to track an individual’s whereabouts by creating hundreds of different “ghost” drivers inside of the application.

As demonstrated to a reporter from Fusion, the team could then track her whereabouts using how Waze shows the location of other drivers and their username.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3062...your-whereabouts-with-wave-vulnerability.html

Sefie, Apr 29, 2016
  2. Sefie

Corzhens

I believe that in the near future our privacy will be a thing of the past because of those hackers. So why should be try to protect our privacy that much when there is nothing much to lose? If hacking becomes prevalent and it becomes the norm rather than the exception, people would be wary and naturally would employ a way in verifying people. Like a friend sending you an email would have a personal code so you would know it is really that friend who sent you the email.

With the tracking, it is already happening with the GPS in cars and also in phones. So it is understandable that a little hacking in Waze could give your location.

Corzhens, Apr 29, 2016
  3. Sefie

Sefie

True, I think it's getting that far, but hopefully the companies that provide e-mail services and such will catch up with that, and will try their best to keep us safe. We can only hope! I found this article interesting because I do use Waze from time to time.

Sefie, May 2, 2016
  4. Sefie

IBMPC8088

So many Waze, so little time! Sigh. Yep. It isn't because of 'hackers' that this is happening though, they're just there to exploit it. It's happening because of sadistic manufacturing trends for profit, and ineffecient development overtop of modest yet insecure platforms being touted as safe, while foolishness of users supports these efforts to continue on this downward trend to oblivion. It wouldn't happen if the manufacturers were forbidden to implement things that wouldn't pass a standard litmus test before release, or if the users refused to use it or purchase it until it was able to.

I mean come on, if you let people record your data or telemetry, what do you expect the most ridiculous and disappointing of society to do with it as the result? I mean heck, when there are people who make excuses for using Ccleaner and Windows 10 and actually have the arrogance to chastise those who know better than to use either one and support uploading all they own into the cloud or suggest that leaving GPS enabled is a great idea, what do people expect to happen? Only idiots are going to take advantage of people like that, but only those who refuse to know better are going to position themselves for that to happen and allow them to just as much. It's a chicken and egg problem at that point, but it can be stopped completely by refusing to use things that are blatantly insecure by design and not running them until there is a way to make them secure or an alternative which is.

IBMPC8088, May 4, 2016
  5. Sefie

IcyBC

This is all "geeks" to me, but hacking is not good! I don't even turn my GPS on or my location on my phone! There are so many people on Facebook that posted where they are all the time and where they checked in to have dinner or visiting. It's crazy that they don't worry about their safety.

IcyBC, May 4, 2016
Ask a Question